PDA

View Full Version : Where to tether

achace
04-14-2003, 03:35 AM
I have an old Volvo station wagon that does not have a spot in the center back to tether a car seat. However there is a hook on each side of the car (in the back cargo area) that I could hook a tether on. Does it matter where in the car the tether is? Right now the seat (a high back toddler/booster combo) is installed well and does not move side to side but just thought I could get it even better. Thanks in advance.
Alison

CPSDarren
04-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi-

Can you please post the model and year of your wagon and the model of your combo seat? Also, is your child in the harness or using it as a booster? Thanks!

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org

achace
04-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Thanks for responding! It is a 1987 Volvo GL station wagon. I have the Evenflo Comet (2 of them, one on each side of the backseat) and am presently using both in the 5pt harness mode.
Alison

CPSDarren
04-22-2003, 06:59 AM
If you have a 240 series wagon, my manual shows that an anchor should be available for any of the three rear seating positions. You may need to purchase/install a "Tether Trim Kit," part number 1189893-9. It adds that, "This kit includes instructions and trim piece. Hook and necessary hardware must be purchased separately. Tether hook kit 3525052-1 may be used, but a new bolt and corresponding washer and nut would have to be added. A tether cannot be installed if the vehicle is fitted with Children's auxillary seat."

You should verify this with your local dealer, who may be able to install it. Or, you can try Volvo USA at 800-458-1552.

In general, it is recommended only to use a tether anchor designated for the specific seating position the carseat occupies. If there is no specific recommendation in the manual, it may be OK to use an anchor that is at a slight angle horizontally or vertically, though the greather the angle and distance, the less effective the tether strap will be in a crash.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org

achace
04-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks so much! I'll get right on this!
Alison

KK
05-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I know this doesn't apply to you Allison, but for others that may be reading this thread, some of the volvo wagons from the early 1990's (like my 850) have the center tether UNDER the cargo hold while the outboard tethers are just under the headrests. KK