PDA

View Full Version : TurboBooster or StarRiser?

legodad
05-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Okay, am I missing something? I've been looking into a booster for my son. he's three, and basically huge, but at 37 lbs. for the last year or so. However, he continues to gain half an inch a month like there's no limit to human height!
Using "Toddler Bargains," I figured the Britax StarRiser was our best bet -- sure, a five-point harness is better for the younger toddlers, but there just isn't one tall enough for our much-loved human weed. Then I walk into Babys-R-Us, and there's the Graco TurboBooster: seemingly identical, except $60 cheaper. What gives? Any thoughts?

taryn5
05-04-2003, 06:11 PM
The Turbobooster is a nice seat, and has a lot of the same features as the StarRiser Comfy, however, it is a bit shorter in the seat, so may not be as comfortable on long trips for an older child. (The child's knees would be out over the edge of the seat) Also the width does not adjust like the StarRiser so may not be suitable for bigger kids.

At 3 years old though, your son would be much safer in a 5 point as opposed to a booster. At that age it's hard for them to remember to stay in position for the whole trip as well as they tend to slump when sleeping.

Have you tried the Britax Husky??? It harnesses to 80lbs!!! and it's top harness slots are 21" high, so he'd probably fit in that seat until he was 6 or 7. My son just turned 3 and is 40" tall, and 40lbs and has tons and tons of growing room in this seat. His seated height is 15" (butt to shoulders) so he has 6" of torso growth, which is roughly equal to 18" of overall growth left in this seat.

Right now they are on sale (the wicket loden color) at BuyBuyBaby stores for $129 ($100 off!)

The Britax Marathon is another seat with nice high harness slots, (19") and good to 65lbs.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Taryn