PDA

View Full Version : booster seat in third row, rearfacing?

vaiva
05-04-2003, 07:01 PM
I need to find out if it is safe to put a booster seat in the wayback of a wagon. Its a 1979 mercedes wagon wtih a third row seat. The third row is rear facing, and only has lap belts. The children in question aren't quite ready for a booster, but will be within the year, so I don't actually own any booster seats. Are there boosters made for cars with only lap belts? I need a quick answer to this one, if anyone knows. Please reply to my address as well.
Thanks,

Vaiva
[email protected]

CPSDarren
05-05-2003, 06:06 PM
In general, no manufacturers recommend placement of car seats or boosters in anything but forward facing vehicle seats. Some newer wagons do have rear-facing seats, but they are designed with seatbelts and safety features compatible for children within certain age ranges. For those kids within the ranges of height/weight listed in the vehicle owner's manual, no additional booster or child seat is necessary.

With older wagons, there may not be a safe alternative. Only Mercedes can advise you in this case. I would be concerned about only having a lap belt, though this may not be as critical in a rear-facing vehicle seat.

While no boosters are made to be used with lap belts, there are a few other options that can be used to higher weights with a lap belt. None are likely to be recommended for a rear-facing vehicle seat, though:-( See http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q8 .

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org