PDA

View Full Version : Help...Which car seat ?? Britax or go to toodler.......

lisa
05-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi,
I am trying to decide which carseat would be best for my son. He is 2 yrs 4 months and is 33 pounds, 38 & 1/2 inches tall. He is currently in the Britax RA. I have a 8 month old that I going to move to his RA and I am debating what to put him in. I got a great deal on a non-latch ROUNDABOUT( $75) AND A bRITAX latch ADVANTAGE FOR $175. i NEED TO DECIDE SOON IF i SHOULD KEEP THESE SEATS FOR HIM OR RETRURN THEM AND switch him to a toddler seat. I guess the height/weight issue is what I am unsure of in his situation. He seems like a very tall 2 yo to me. I know Consumer Reports rated a COSCO toddler seat highly- would he be too young for this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, LIsa

momathome
05-09-2003, 03:05 PM
You need to take CR's ratings with a grain of salt. Perhaps this booster is ok, perhaps it's not. The drawback I have heard for this seat so far is that the harness slots are quite a bit lower than other harnessed booster seats - this may mean that your child may outgrow this seat by height before he has outgrown it by weight - at 2 years old, he is not mature enough to use a booster seat without a harness. Also, Cosco has a terrible recall/saftey record - I'm not quite sure why CR did not take this into consideration when they made their recomendation. The seats to consider - the Britax Marathon, which has higher harness slots than the Britax RA and can hold children up to 65lbs. By the time your child outgrew this seat, he should be old enough to be ready for a belt-positioning booster like the Britax StarRiser Comfy or the Graco Turbo Booster, which are great seats for older kids. The other thing you can do is by a harnessed booster like the Evenflo Express or the Graco CarGo, both of which have high harness slots and would work well for a child your son's age. You could use one of these seats for not and then switch to a better belt-positioning booster once he outgrows the harnessed seats. Are you on information-overload yet?!?!?! Good luck!
-Lauren

MarinaTwinMom
05-17-2003, 05:56 PM
My advice would be to return them and buy either a Britax Marathon or a Britax Husky. You'll pay more, but you will be able to use the seat MUCH longer. :)