PDA

View Full Version : Combination Seat for 18-mo. Old?

Ann
07-29-2003, 01:19 PM
We have a Britax Roundabout and love it. I'm looking for a seat to keep in my sister's car which won't be used very often. Should I get a combination seat (20-80 lbs) that babe can use full-time when she outgrows the RA (quite a few months/pounds away) or get a less expensive convertible seat (5-40 lbs) for the second car and get a booster when she's ready for one? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Joolsplus2
07-30-2003, 06:10 PM
If she's not rearfacing and you have no intention of putting her rearfacing or having another baby that would need the rearfacing capabilities, then a combo seat is a great choice.
The Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo is excellent (same seat shell, different covers), and the Graco/Century Nextstep is also a good choice. The Evenflo Chase or Express may not get tight enough on her if she's in the bottom slots, but otherwise either is a great seat.
Avoid Cosco/Safety First/Eddie Bauer seats, as they have low top harness slots and very twisty straps :(
If you want to get a convertible, the Evenflo Triumph is nice, the Britax Galaxy is $129 at www.babylove.com, and the Graco ComfortSport is also usually fine.
HTH,

Roni
08-02-2003, 03:15 PM
What about the Evenflo Apollo? It got the top pick in the Toddler Bargains book, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I anticipate facing the combo seat dilemma in a few months, when my 3-year old dd (30 lbs., 36 inches) either outgrows her RA by height or gets kicked out of it by the new baby.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
08-02-2003, 03:46 PM
The Apollo's been discontinued and the new version is called the Comet...It's very poor for sleep support, I find the straps twisty, and the knob adjuster is kind of cool, but hard to get used to. It does have EPS foam, which may help reduce head injury in a severe crash.

As a belt positioner, I didn't like how the lapbelt fit under the armrests very well....maybe it was just my car.

It's not a bad choice if it fits your car, your child, and your budget (they've been spotted at big lots for $39!).

JHMO :)