PDA

View Full Version : Britax Husky - Feet/Legs

Mrs. Car Seat Woes
07-29-2003, 06:57 PM
After much research, we settled on a Husky and it fit in our car (or so we thought). Our daughter's feet rest on the back of the little console thing in the middle of our car (the cup holder thing). (We installed the seat in the middle). I don't know if that is ok or not. It doesn't bother her, but for all I know, with legs or feet positioned like that, may mean instant broken leg in a hard crash. If we have to stop using it we can easily sell or donate the seat, the problem is that puts us back to square one: shopping for seats!!! I don't know if the Bodyguard is on shelves here yet or not. I wanted to stay with a 5-point harness for as long as possible. Everything I've ever read states that this is the safest type of seat (more so that boosters). But obviously not if you can't get it to fit correctly. Other than this issue the Husky is FANTASTIC. We can shake it as hard as we can and the car moves, not the seat.

Joolsplus2
07-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Do her feet rest ON it or directly BEHIND it? if ON, i wouldn't be concerned...when you see a crash test, everything seems to just fly straight forward...but if her feet are crammed directly behind it and "stuck", then you might want to put the seat in an outboard position (Those massive hard plastic sidewings have GOT to confer some side impact safety, in addition to the 5-pt harness).
The bodyguard IS for sale...I have one...and a husky, and a marathon and an airway...my ds LOVES the bodyguard, and it seems very secure as far as boosters go...if she's over 40 pounds and you need a seat for carpooling or whatever, I highly recommend it, since the Husky is so....well...husky!... to move!

Mrs. Car Seat Woes
08-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Julie. Her feet rest right on it. So even if not a safety issue, it may be an issue when we take a 12 hour trip next month. What is outboard position!!?? I don't know what means. Please explain. Sorry!!! She is only about 37 pounds, so I don't know if the Bodyguard is an option for us yet, much as I want to check it out.

Joolsplus2
08-07-2003, 01:20 PM
oh, sorry...outboard is "the window seat" by the door. doesn't the console just make a comfy footrest for her? it might be better than her feet just dangling down...i know my son always ends up crossing his legs after awhile so they aren't just hanging, when he's in his Husky.
oh also, a travel pillow of some sort or a rolled up blanket might help her sleep a little more comfortably on a long trip...those side wings are kind of far out, it's nice to have something to rest their heads on.
hope that helps (???)

Mrs. Car Seat Woes
08-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Yes, I guess that is one way to look at it. Since we've only had the Husky for a short time, and the console is right there, I have no experience with the leg dangling yet. As long as she is not unsafe, I guess we'll just see what happens for a while. Soon we get to do all of this for vehicle no. 2 and I know a Husky won't fit. Thank goodness for the web where they have these kinds of sites. I can't imagine not having this kind of info at my fingertips now.

Joolsplus2
08-09-2003, 11:03 AM
What's the other car you have? How do you know it won't fit? Was it in the compatibility database as having a problem? (The only reason Im curious, is that if the problem is the seatbelts' too short, then there's an advisory about threading it through the seat the "short' way, so it may work)

Mrs. Car Seat Woes
08-10-2003, 12:20 AM
The other car is a 1997 Chevy pick up (with a back seat). Right now she is still in a Century convertible, but going to have to come out of it due to height. In that vehicle, also, her feet rest on the console. I realize the back seats of trucks in general are not as safe as other back seats. We don't take road trips in it and she rarely even rides in it on the highway, but she does ride in it. I don't think there is room for a Husky because there just isn't much room back there, period. I've thought about the Marathon but I'm not sure if there is any way to tether in a truck like that. So even though I hoped to stay in a 5-point harness for another year, I'm if there isn't a seat that will fit I may have to go ahead and put her in one of the Britax boosters.

Joolsplus2
08-10-2003, 12:44 PM
ooooh, yeah...back of a truck...You're right, it just might be too deep, and in the Marathon, which has a MUCH smaller base and her legs would probably rest on the seat, it might just be too high for comfort. I'm giving friends of mine my airway when their baby turns a year for their extended cab toyota...it's shallow and fits quite well. Hopefully the Bodyguard will work there for you, or you might want to look at the Starriser comfy, since it's on clearance and is small. or the turbo booster is a very shallow seat, and it may work well.
Good luck finding something!