PDA

View Full Version : Marathon vs Husky for 2.5 yr old

Sejal Patel
08-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Our 9 month old infant will soon inherit our 2.5 year old's Britax Roundabout carseat, and we are now in the market for a new carseat for our toddler. He is currently about 38" tall and 32-33 lbs (depends on the day).

Anyway, we looked at a bunch of carseats and boosters, and we're just in a tizzy as to what to do. We nixed the Britax StarRiser, cause although he is big enough, it doesn't seem as safe as having a 5-point harness (and I didn't like that the seat back would lean forward when he falls asleep). It seems like the Marathon is great, but since we only need it for forward facing, the Husky seems like another option (especially since it takes it to a bigger weight.).

We're wondering, too, if it's just worth getting the Marathon now and in a couple years get our older son a new booster or something else, rather than buying a Husky that will last for the next four years. My husband figures in a couple years, there may be more booster type seats that have the 5 point harness. (That's another reason we didn't like the boosters - we want to keep the kids in the 5-point as long as possible...)

Any comments/feedback is appreciated. Oh, the other caveat. We have a VW Passat, which I think the Husky should fit in fine. We also have a VW Beetle, so I don't think we have many options in that car. Is there a place where we can see which cars the seats are compatible with?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
08-14-2003, 12:29 AM
I have both a Marathon and a Husky (for my 3 and 5 year olds). My five year old still fits with some growing room in the Marathon, and he's got YEARS of growing room in the Husky. I feel like my 3 yo is really much more comfy in the Marathon...so what am I saying? I think the Marathon or Wizard might be the better choice for you :). I have no problems fitting my Husky in my subcompact toyota prius, but it also eliminates ANY posibility of fitting a third person or seat back there, whereas with a MA and a RA, you could probably put a third person in there in a pinch. The MA is also a LOT easier to move from car to car, and will very likely fit in the Beetle (try www.carseatdata.org ).
I think by the time the Marathon is outgrown, belt positioning boosters will have come a long way (there's already the britax bodyguard with side impact protective structure...my ds has that in one car and LOVES it, and it seems VERY secure and solid...so who knows what they'll come up with in the next 3-4 years?)

Hope That Helps!

Sejal Patel
08-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks, Julie, that's exactly the feedback I wanted. :)

We also looked at the Wizard, but had read that many kids don't like the head restraints as it blocked their visibility to their surroundings. I just can't see my son being comfortable in that thing! Have you heard any feedback on it?

I think we probably will go with the Marathon based on your response and other stuff I have read. The Husky is just so huge, I think we'd like to keep our options more open. I like to sometimes sit in the back with both kids if the younger one is fussy on the longer journeys, and the Husky will definitely not allow for that!

Regarding the Britax Bodyguard - what size/age child will that hold? I am guessing it's for the older child. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Joolsplus2
08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
The bodyguard is for kids 40 pounds and 43 inches and up (Maybe so many people found the Starriser unsuitable for the younger, smaller children who technically fit in it, that they changed their minimums?).
Some kids complain about the wings on the wizard, and some don't.....so the Marathon is a great choice :)...but here are reviews of the Wizard and bodyguard done by a tech that will give you some more info... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1188 and http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1082

:)