PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Summit: Pros and Cons

Allyson
08-23-2003, 09:24 AM
My son is a 26 month old, 32 pounds, who has just about exceeded the height limits of the Britax Roundabout. We went to purchase a Marathon yesterday, but were talked into purchasing the Cosco Summit instead, as he is almost up to the top limit on the Marathon shoulder straps, too. I am SO CONFUSED now, as I've been doing the research after the purchase.
I've read that the Cosco straps are a royal pain and twist constantly--true?? I also have concern about the comfort factor of the Summit--it is not very padded and doesn't seem nearly as comfy as the Marathon. We have not opened the Summit yet. Should I return it and if so, what would be a good replacement? The Husky is too large for our car! Any suggestions or input would be great appreciated. Thanks!

CPSDarren
08-23-2003, 09:51 AM
The Summit is a nice model, especially when used as a booster. I have a review here:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=555

One thing to consider is that if your son is almost to the top harness slots on the Marathon, then he is probably already above the top useable slots on the Summit which are much lower. Unfortunately, the top height setting on the Summit is ONLY for use as a booster, and not for use with the harness.

I think either seat will be very safe if used properly. If you are happy with the features, the choice is really up to you. On the other hand, children should stay in a 5-point harness to at least 40 pounds. If your child is above the height limit for the harness in the Summit, then the Marathon or another combination model might be a better choice.

Joolsplus2
08-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Sometimes the cover will tend to slip down on the Roundabout and make it look like a child's shoulders are over the top slots...have you made sure that his shoulders are actually creeping up above the top slots in the plastic? He's not outgrown his RA till one of the following has happened: the child is 40 pounds OR the shoulders are at the top harness slots OR the tips of his ears are above the top of the seat back. Most kids outgrow the RA at about 40-42 inches, and the top height listed on the Marathon is 49 inches (and here are some larger children in the Marathon that still fit in it http://pages.ivillage.com/momika/carseatphotos/id24.html --all but the top picture)

The reason Im mentioning all these details, is your ds seems so young to be outgrowing the roundabout...I don't doubt that he's tall or very long torsoed, but i'd hate for you to have to give up the comfort and ease of use of the roundabout too early if you don't have to!