PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Comet - still recommended combo seat?

rosaphile
09-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Is the Evenflo Comet (which if I understand correctly, replaces the Evenflo Apollo) still the most highly recommended combo seat? We are currently using Graco SnugRide infant seats for our twins, so we would like to find a combo seat that will take them from 20 lb. on up.

TIA for any assistance you can offer!

Joolsplus2
09-09-2003, 03:36 PM
It's really not recommended that you go straight from an infant seat to a booster seat. For one, most babies outgrow infant seats by height well before a year, and need convertible seats to keep them rearfacing. And 2, combo seats, particularly the Comet, are very upright and provide little or no sleep support.
The good news is, convertible seats will last you 3 or 4 years (up to six, if you buy a bigger one), and you won't be needing new seats for quite a long time.
This page has some highly recommended convertible seats http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html

And here's good information about rearfacing and how it's so much safer for babies and toddlers than forward facing
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

rosaphile
09-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks Julie! I'm not sure of course, but I really didn't anticipate the babies outgrowing their rear-facing infant seats. They are four months old and just about 13 or 14 lb. each. We have two other babies on our block, one of whom is 10 weeks old and 12 lb. and the other 11 weeks old and 15 lb.! But I hadn't really considered the sleep support issue, so that's a good thought, even if the twins don't outgrow their infant seats before 12 months.

I guess I haven't really researched convertible seats much since I was pointing toward the combo seats, so I'll go back to the Toddler Bargains book to look at those, as well as the link you posted. Thanks again for the response!

Joolsplus2
09-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Oh, just so you're up to speed...your infant seats are outgrown when there's about an inch of seatback over the tops of their heads. Hopefully your babies are nice and small and you get a lot more use out of your seats, though...some babies outgrow them at as little as 3-4 months!