PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Integrated Booster Seats

veneto
09-19-2003, 04:19 PM
My husband and I have a 2002 Volvo V70 wagon that is equipped with integrated booster seats. We didn't have children when we purchased the vehicle, but the new car on the lot that we liked best just happened to have them as a feature. It's a pretty neat feature; the seat cushion lifts up and locks into place, and then the height of the shoulder strap can be brought down to the correct level for the child's height.

Our daughter is five months old now, and still a long way from needing a booster. However, when we've taken the car in to two different certified techs to verify that our car seats have been installed properly, we've heard dissenting views on the integrated booster seats. One tech thinks that they are great and very safe and a wonderful innovation; the other doesn't think that they are safe and has encouraged us to purchase a separate booster seat when the time comes.

So, now I'm confused. And I haven't been able to find anything anywhere to indicate that the Volvo integrated boosters aren't just as effective as separate seats.

Has anyone here seen anything to support either argument?

We're getting ready to purchase a second Volvo, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to make sure that the second car also has integrated boosters.

Joolsplus2
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm trying to read that techs mind and guess what it is she means, and here's what *I've* come up with....

It's the same as a no back booster. Kids should be quite mature and not sleep much in the car to be able to use a no-back booster, so that really should be at least age 5 or 6. Up until then, they are better harnessed (if possible, obviously following the weight and height guidelines of the harnessed seat), and/or in a highback booster, which tends to contain a wiggly youngster a little better and offer sleep support, so they don't fall dangerously out of position when they flop over asleep.

Inherently, the integrated booster is very safe: forward head excursion is kept low, and in your car, there are side curtain airbags (right? I'm basing my argument on that assumption, since my mom's 1999 S80 has them), so you don't need the extra side impact protection that a harnessed seat or the Britax Bodyguard booster would provide.

The main thing is, though, is that Volvo has designed and tested these seats to perform well for the weights they list in their manual, and I'd have no qualms that it would perform well in a crash and protect a child very well....as long as the child is mature enough to be in a booster and knows how to sit still for the entire trip (so, a 33 pound 2 year old would NOT be safe, but a 33 pound 5 year old most likely WOULD be safe)

They are a great option, especially down the road when you are carpooling and otherwise transporting more than your own child, but compared to a no-back booster ($14-$25), it's a rather pricey solution. If it's in your budget, go for it :)

Julie CPS Advocate and mom to 2 in seats

veneto
09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
>I'm trying to read that techs mind and guess what it is she
>means, and here's what *I've* come up with....
>
>It's the same as a no back booster. Kids should be quite
>mature and not sleep much in the car to be able to use a
>no-back booster, so that really should be at least age 5 or 6.
> Up until then, they are better harnessed (if possible,
>obviously following the weight and height guidelines of the
>harnessed seat), and/or in a highback booster, which tends to
>contain a wiggly youngster a little better and offer sleep
>support, so they don't fall dangerously out of position when
>they flop over asleep.

This makes sense. Thank you! The tech really had trouble articulating why she didn't like the integrated booster, and basically just told us that they weren't sufficient and that was that. This makes sense.

>Inherently, the integrated booster is very safe: forward head
>excursion is kept low, and in your car, there are side curtain
>airbags (right? I'm basing my argument on that assumption,
>since my mom's 1999 S80 has them), so you don't need the extra
>side impact protection that a harnessed seat or the Britax
>Bodyguard booster would provide.

Yes, we have side curtain airbags.

>The main thing is, though, is that Volvo has designed and
>tested these seats to perform well for the weights they list
>in their manual, and I'd have no qualms that it would perform
>well in a crash and protect a child very well....as long as
>the child is mature enough to be in a booster and knows how to
>sit still for the entire trip (so, a 33 pound 2 year old would
>NOT be safe, but a 33 pound 5 year old most likely WOULD be
>safe)

Unless she really starts growing, any convertible that we pick for her should last well beyond two years.

>They are a great option, especially down the road when you
>are carpooling and otherwise transporting more than your own
>child, but compared to a no-back booster ($14-$25), it's a
>rather pricey solution. If it's in your budget, go for it
>:)
>
>Julie CPS Advocate and mom to 2 in seats

Thank you so much! This definitely clarifies things for me.

Joolsplus2
09-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Unless she really starts growing, any convertible that we pick for her should last well beyond two years.

Precisely...seats with 15.5 inch high top harness slots will last you three or 4 years (like the Roundabout and Evenflo Triumph), seats with 14,14.5" inch slots will last about 3 years (like the Graco ComfortSport or Alpha Omega) and the Marathon will last 5-6 years (a little over 17 inches...best bang for the buck, there...extra features, high quality, and tall top slots :) )

Julie CPS Advocate and mom to 2 in seats (a 4 year old rearfacing in a Marathon, and a 6 year old Harnessed in a Husky--we don't have side curtain airbags PLUS it keeps them separated and everything peaceful!)