PDA

View Full Version : Child-proof seat belt guards

jkundra
09-26-2003, 07:30 PM
I am trying to find something to use on a car seat belt that will prevent my grandson from undoing the seat belt while the car is in motion. My daughter has a 2001 or 2002 Dodge Caravan Mini-van with the sliding doors on both sides. My 5 year old grandson sits in some type of booster seat with the shoulder and seat belt. Yesterday, while driving home after work, my grandson undid his seatbelt, got out of the booster seat and opened the sliding door on the van while she was driving down the street. Is there something anyone knows of that can be used to prevent a child from unlatching seat belt. Thanks.

Joolsplus2
09-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Oh gosh! How frightening!
I'm afraid there's really nothing to add to a seatbelt to make it hard for a 5 yo to undo it, though.

If he's otherwise normally developed mentally, it's really a discipline issues at this age. He should be old enough to understand that seatbelts remained fastened, period, while the car is moving. He can be told how dangerous it is for him to be out of his seatbelt in a crash, too.

Here's a fascinating video that might get the point across to him (my 6 yo loves it...something about crashes really fascinates little boys, I think)
http://www.nhtsa.org/real/index.html Scroll down to "CPS Week 2002"
and click on "Side Crash Dummy Video Clip #1" and it will open in RealPlayer, if you have that.

good luck to you and your daughter,

Julie CPS Advocate and mom to 2 in seats