PDA

View Full Version : 20 month old outgrowing Century Accel

genevieve
10-07-2003, 08:15 PM
My 20 month old son is 29 lbs and 33 inches tall. He has a very long torso and his shoulders just now at the level of the highest strap position in his Century Accel. I have not been very happy with the Accel and wish to stay away from Century products. It is almost impossible to keep the tension of the straps even. Our other seat is the Roundabout and I love it. I am leaning towards purchasing the Marathon. However, I am wondering if a combo seat would be more economical since it could be used as a booster later. Any suggestions?

Joolsplus2
10-07-2003, 08:30 PM
The Accel *does* have pretty short slots. He's so young, I think you'd probably get lots of use out of a Marathon (what if he hits 40 pounds before he's at least age 4.5 and ready for using a seat as a booster?...if you have a Marathon, you won't need to worry about that :) ) (plus, since I know money can be a concern, if the seat is in good order with all it's parts and manual, you can re-sell it on ebay if it's less than 6 years old when he outgrows it)

Here are some other combo seats though, that are all generally fine and are perfectly safe http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html (bottom half of page). I'm fond of the Graco Platinum cargo...but as long as it fits your child and your car and you use it properly every trip, then whatever seat you pick will be fine.

You might also look at the Husky...it's big, but you'll really be able to use it for a long time, especially since he is so tall...my 6 year old LOVES his Husky, and can buckle and unbuckle himself easily.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats

genevieve
10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to go with the Marathon. I have a little time to bargain shop since he hasn't outgrown his current seat yet. I drive a Saturn and I'm concerned that the Husky would take over my back seat.

juli
10-12-2003, 12:37 PM
My 20 month old is 40Lbs and tall also! I too need to replace my Century. The Husky sounds great, but I am afraid to risk over $200.oo, if we don;t like it and we cannot take it on a plane with us!
How is the Marathon working for you ? Who makes it?
Any other advice for mothers of big guys?
THanks

Joolsplus2
10-12-2003, 01:26 PM
The Marathon would probably be a good choice for a 20 month old...you can see it at www.britaxusa.com or you can go right to Babies R Us or other good baby strore. They are cheaper online, often $209 with free shipping if you try www.google.com
Good luck!

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats

genevieve
10-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I found the Marathon at www.babycatalog.com for $209 with free shipping. I have not yet purchased it because I have a little more time in the Accel. I looked at it at Babys R Us and it looked like a larger version of the Britax Roundabout. We currently have a Roundabout in my DH car and we love it. In comparision, I hate the Accel. I am constantly fooling with the straps. They twist and even worse...they don't always stay even. I'll end up with one side nice and snug and the other loose. I know this is not very safe and I double I will probably never purchase another Century carseat. Britax makes a high quality product and it is worth the extra money if you can possibly afford it.

KUvsOU
10-15-2003, 04:23 PM
My son is almost 16 months and is tall for his age. We absolutely love our Marathon!!! My husband has an Evenflo seat in his car which I hate and bought since I didn't want to spend big bucks for his car. We need to replace it pretty soon as my son is getting to big for it already. I am thinking about putting the Marathon in my husband's car and buying the Britax Wizard for my car. It is the same seat as the Marathon with a couple of enhancements. I don't think I will ever buy any seat by Britax again! My son is much more comfortable in his Marathon car seat and I have decided that I will definitely get my money out of it.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02