PDA

View Full Version : 5pt harness on combos- really only use to 40 lbs?

RDK
10-10-2003, 04:48 AM
I am wondering if you can really only use the harness on the combo booster seats to 40 lbs. I have friends that use them past 40 lbs as long as the belt height is OK. I am trying to determine since we are pretty close to 40 lbs and I think I am just going to get the Britax Bodygard unless I can use the 5 pt harness on the evenflo for more than a couple of months. Does anyone know about how the harnesses are tested/ rated? or have any experience/opinions?

Thanks

Joolsplus2
10-10-2003, 10:15 AM
They really are only certified to 40 pounds. Period.
Now, what I just learned in my CPS class is that they probably won't catastraophically fail at a few pounds above that weight (especially if tethered, and with a snug harness and good install...which 99% of people don't do, unfortunately), BUT, they become less and less effective as you go over the weight limit. Mainly, you are literally risking much more severe neck and head injuries, because the head will be flying out greater than the crash testing allows, and thus the risk of the head hitting something...the seat in front, the door pillars, the window....is much greater.

If my child were 40 pounds and 43 inches, I'd feel a lot safer with him/her in the Bodyguard or other booster (or even a higher weight rated harnessed seat, like the Marathon, Wizard, Airway, or Husky) than in a harnessed seat.
:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats