PDA

View Full Version : 5 Pt harness for over 40lbs?

cathydz
10-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I have a 35 pound child, who is almost four. Other than Britax, does any manufacturer make a car seat that uses a 5 point harness for children over 40 pounds ? I have a Marathon but am looking for a less expensive choice for a second car. I see that Consumer Reports did not recommend any of the combo toddler/booster seats for use in the booster seat mode, i.e. kid over 40 pounds, using the shoulder belt. (Consumer Reports, May 2003.) I understand I could use a seat such as the Graco Turbo Booster but I don't feel my child is mature enough to keep her shoulders under the straps. I would appreciate any recommendations anyone has.

Joolsplus2
10-14-2003, 12:04 PM
There's a Nania/Safety Baby Airway that goes to 50 pounds and is $99...but I don't know where they are anymore...used to be at Burlington Coat Factory/Baby Depot, and www.babyage.com ....I think they may be readying for a new roll out of a second generation product, since the first ones had some rather major flaws (I have one...it falls apart into 2 pieces all the time...very annoying).

I would actually more recommend the evenflo Chase/Vision/Express (all same seat shell, different padding and armrest options)...it IS good as a booster. The belt guides are not necesarry for safety, or even recommended unless needed...they are for comfort only when needed, and by the time she hits 40 pounds, she should be tall enough she won't need them...plus, I know a friend's dd who uses that seat, and loves it as a booster...never has that "introducing slack in the belt" problem at all, since the guides are really very open and "flowing".

One thing about higher harnessed weigh seats, is that the harness slots are all the same height...about 17 inches, and given that your dd is not very heavy, she may outgrow them all around 40 pounds, anyway (that's what happened with my ds, lol...I went to the trouble to find and use the Airway, and would much rather have had the Ultra Cargo, because I really like that seat the best...and he outgrew the Airway by height when he was right on 40 pounds!)

Anyway, the upshot is, your options in higher weight seats are very limited, but you should be able to get plenty of use out of a regular combo seat (CR really has blown the issue out of proportion, IMO...even some seats with open belt guides introduce slack and make the belts all twisted and folded...they just aren't designed well).

Sorry for the stream of conciousness there! LOL...I just went on and on... :)

Good luck finding a seat you and your dd like (stay away from Cosco's, Safety First, and Eddie Bauer..they have LOW top slots..even the Summit...that seat cannot be used with the harness on the highest setting, which is very deceptive)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

cathydz
10-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the info. I didn't realize you could use the shoulder belt without using the guide on the seat. However, I imagine it depends on the height of the child. I looked at the seats you recommended and think I'll choose either the Chase or the Ultra CarGo. Is one better than the other safety wise? Also, did you recommend these because they have higher strap slots, better safety record or what? Just curious as to the criteria used. Thanks again.

Joolsplus2
10-15-2003, 01:07 PM
I like the ones I mentioned, mainly because of the high top harness slot height, the harness quality and ease of adjustment, and the padding. Also, they tend to fit well in lots of cars (It's possible that Cosco seats may fit better in more cars, but the low top slots, twisty straps, and rock-hard seats tip the balance toward the negative on those for me. They can be beastly for even the most caring and contientious parent to use correctly. ugh!)

They all meet the same minimum government safety standards...so no plusses or minuses on that front. Of course, proper use can enhance safety (and if you don't have tether anchors in your car, I highly recommend getting them installed...they can reduce forward head movement in a crash by up to 8 inches)

Hope that helps,
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx