PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Cargo in Geo Prizm

Amy Weeks
11-05-2003, 08:50 AM
My ds is 20 months, around 30 lbs. and 34.5" tall. We have a Britax RA in our main car, which I love, but up until this point didn't have a car seat in our other car (a 1996 Geo Prizm). There are times when my husband and I really wish we had two car seats so after doing some research I decided to buy the Ultra Cargo for our other car. It has plenty of growing room and the price was right (another Britax for a car that he won't ride in as much was a little much).
Well I just got the seat and I have been struggling to install it. Does anyone out there have any experience with this seat in a Geo Prizm? I called the dealer about getting tether anchors installed. They said that they could do it, but now I've read that many people haven't been able to get tether anchors installed in their Geos. Well, we'll see what happens when I go today! I'm trying to install the seat in the passenger outboard position (the middle wouldn't work at all!). The seat belts do lock so I'm assuming that I don't need the locking clip, but would the locking clip make it tighter? This seat is so much more difficult than my RA!
I also have a question about the crotch strap. The closer position isn't really under my ds but it is a little bit under his diaper in the front. I tried the other position but then it was too far out and made the the buckle and straps fit higher up on his stomach instead of tight across his thighs (the crotch strap does seem a little bit long). I put the strap back in the first position because that seemed to be the better fit, is this correct?
I think I'm going to find a car seat check to have them look at it but I wanted to see if others have had any problems installing this seat.

Joolsplus2
11-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Sorry I didn't get to your question sooner! It's a toughie! At first, I would have believed one CPS Tech who said you could add Corolla tether anchors (sister car) to the Prism, but I've just heard again and again after that, the anchor holes, though in the same place and size, are NOT reinforced, and GM advises against adding tethers (though some parents may choose to use the corolla hardware and a big washer as the reinforcement plate...I certainly can't recommend that...) http://www.carseatdata.org/Geo_Prism.html

Anyway, one trick for getting a tighter installation is to twist the buckle stalk (assuming it's on webbing that can be twisted...the buckle is the side with the red button...or the "female" side of the seatbelt)...what you do is install the seat as tight as you can, then unbuckle it, holding on to the seatbelt, then twist the buckle stalk up to 6 times, and with ALL your weight on the seat, lean towards the buckle, and use a LOT of strength to re-buckle the seat (this is going to take a lot of effort, and maybe even 2 people).

If your buckle stalks do NOT twist...hmmm...I'm not sure :(. Your best bet would be to visit a CPS tech and they can give you some other tricks OR tell you that the seat simply won't work in that car (maybe you could just permanently trade seats? Keep the RA in the Prism?....)
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whatis/regions/index.cfm?fitting=yes

Good luck, and post back with your "results" :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Amy Weeks
11-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Julie,

Thanks for your input. I'm still waiting on getting the tether anchors installed. The dealer is ordering the part and claims that they can put it in my prizm (they are ordering the Chevy Prizm part, not Geo Prizm).

I think I finally got the seat to fit in the middle seat. The outboard location wouldn't work because the shoulder belt base was a little to the side and not directly to the back of the seat. The middle was hard too--I had a twist the belt stock many times. Is twisting it like 7 times safe?

I also have a question about the different padding in different versions of the Cargo. I got a "bare-bones" (no recline) Cargo from Sears for only $59 on sale. This is only a secondary car seat so ds won't be riding in it for long distances. I noticed that the version at Babies R' Us is more plush. Does this make the seat any safer?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
11-11-2003, 01:33 PM
No, the padding on the seat has no effect on the safety. What I would worry about is that you might have the Treasured Cargo, which has no front harness adjuster....those are bad, because you have to un-and re-install the seat every time you use it to get the harness properly tightened. If yours has the front adjuster (and I think an Ultra Cargo could very well be at sears for $59), then it's a terrific seat.
Tell me how it goes with the dealer! I *really hope* they know what they are doing and get you the right part! That would be wonderful!

Amy Weeks
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Julie,

Yes, it is the Ultra Cargo with the front adjuster(just thinner padding like the Treasured Cargo). From the model number and looking on Graco's website, it seems to be an older model that they still carry at Sears.

Is twisting the belt stock 7 times ok?

Thanks,

Amy

Joolsplus2
11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
I keep hearing that 6 full twists is the limit. After that, the belt strength is lessened a bit. But bear in mind that seatbelts are designed to take huge adult-sized crash forces, so if you have it installed well, it's going to have to be a decision you make whether you want to leave it as it is, or try to reinstall it with fewer twists, if that's possible.
I hope that makes sense! Sometimes there's just no easy answer to a tough situation (of course, if it's 7 *half* twists, your in the clear)
:)