PDA

View Full Version : booster with harness?

clerje47
11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
I need a new carseat for my 5 year old (just turned) who's 35 pounds and 41 inches. Officer at Car Seat Safety Checkpoint said I need a new seat as the harness straps on current one are below shoulders. Also said I need a harness til she's 40 pounds. Confused by all seats and different model numbers keep appearing. What is a good harness/booster seat for an Odyssey minivan?
I saw the Graco Turbo Booster but it seemed flimsy and fell apart in 2 pieces when I picked it up. Heard Evenflo Sightseer is good, but where can I purchase? Thanks for feedback.

Joolsplus2
11-08-2003, 12:56 PM
It's safest to stay harnessed to 40 pounds, but there's sort of a grey area for thin 5 and 6 year olds....

You could get a combo booster that harnesses to 40 pounds, with higher harness slots, then turns to a booster when she's 40 pounds, or really, the Turbo is a much nicer seat than it seems (you want the back to be flexible to fit to the car better, and to move with your child in a crash)
My 6 yo ds finds the sightseer very uncomfortable...there's a hard plastic lump in the back...but if you want to get the Barbie one from walmart, it's mighty cute (my dd has that one, and SHE doesn't find it uncomfortable...but they far prefer the Turbo for comfort and sleep support).

Here are some of the preferred combo seats (bottom half of page) http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html

Or if you want to go with a dedicated booster, the Turbo is good, and the Jupiter Komfort Cruiser is a big comfy seat with a low starting weight limit.

The Britax Bodyguard is an extremely safe, high quality booster, but the starting weight is 40 pounds (I just wanted to mention it, maybe for later, because it IS so safe, comfortable, and high quality...and it's our favorite of all of these ;).

Oh, and all of these will work fine in an Ody...I've tried them all.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx