PDA

View Full Version : Side impact and Britax questions

JandKsMom
11-25-2003, 02:49 PM
We currently have a roundabout for our 23 lb. 1.5 year old and a Comet for our 37 lb 3.75 year old in one car.

The other car has a Super Elite for the 3.75-year-old.

We're going to be getting a new car in a few months that does not have rear curtain air bags, but will have seating for both - Hooray.

My question is:
Have the Roundabout and Super Elite been tested for side impact? Is there any quantifiable difference between the SE and the Wizard for side impact?

I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) that the smart thing to do is replace the Comet with a Wizard. That would keep him in a 5-point harness. Simply for financial reasons, I'd prefer to keep the RA and the SE for our second car (both would be on outboard positions), but if there's good reason to buy 2 more Wizards, we'll do our best to afford them (gulp).

What do you all think?

J&K's mommy

CPSDarren
12-22-2003, 11:50 AM
There are no requirements or current standards for side impact testing in the USA. Some manufacturers may test their seats to their own standards, or to ones used in Europe.

At a recent conference, Britax had a presentation about side impacts, including real life crashes. The conclusion was that most models with a 5-point harness do a relatively good job protecting occupants in side impacts. On the other hand, many boosters are marginal at best for side impacts, especially backless types and those with minimal protection around the head and torso.

I have no data to offer you a definite answer. I suspect the Wizard would be a slight improvement over the Super Elite (or any 5-point harness) if the child is in an outboard seating position. On the other hand, I think the Wizard (or Bodyguard) would be a significant improvement over most belt-positioning boosters for kids in an outboard seating position. Other models may also have improved side impact performance. Without the benefit of test results, you should look for larger "wings" around the side of the head, torso and legs. Also, the use of extra foam around the head and torso may help, too.

So, I think your child will be very safe in the Comet up to 40 pounds with the 5-point harness, assuming it is properly installed and used, of course:-) After 40 pounds, you may wish to consider a Husky, Wizard or Bodyguard, especially if your child is seated in an outboard position.

I use both a Husky and Wizard in our main kid-hauler. Both are in outboard seating positions. With the Wizard, I would advise you to make sure your child fits well before you buy it. In particular, the side impact wings around the head and the crotch buckle can be a comfort issue for bigger kids. Apparently, there may be an updated version that has a bit more space inside the head wings, so that may no longer be an issue.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org