PDA

View Full Version : Combo seat or Marathon?

Roni
01-02-2004, 01:50 PM
My 3.5 year old (probably around 37 inches and 31 lbs.) is about to get kicked out of her Roundabout by her baby sister (who is already getting too tall for her infant seat--sigh). When I began researching a few months ago, I wasn't happy with any of the combo seats. Have there been any improvements in the last few months, or should I go with the Marathon for now?

Joolsplus2
01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
If you weren't happy with the Combo seats a couple months ago, you probably still won't be. The Platinum Cargo is about as nice as they get, followed by the Evenflo Chase...
Since you have the "handmedownability", though, you might be happiest with a Marathon or even the Wizard or even the Husky...they are all great seats, and you'll certainly be able to use any of these seats for the full 6 years of their useable life :)
You could even let your elder dd ride rearfacing just like the baby does, if you get the Marathon...she might like it more than you think she would ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Roni M.
01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks! (This is Roni, but I'm having trouble logging in.) Your website is very helpful, too. I hadn't checked out the Platinum Cargo before. I'm still slightly leaning toward the Marathon, but I'll have to see how it works in our car. Two more ?'s: Will any of these seats fit in a plane, & do we really need to use it in the plane? When we go to Florida in April, my older daughter will be almost 4 but not 40 lbs. We were considering leaving her seat @home & renting one when we get there because 1) We aren't sure how we would get through the airport w/ 2 carseats, 2)We don't necessarily want to base our purchase on plane-compatibility, and 3)The baby will need the window seat, so I'm not sure we even can take a second car seat. Of course, we don't want to be unsafe, but we're wondering how much difference a car seat would actually make in a plane crash.

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I've taken my kids as young as 2 on the plane without a seat, and was happy that the lapbelt fits low and tight across their hips. A recent study found children at 40 pounds are at least as protected as adults by the plane seatbelt...and yeah, I know some people DO haul two seats on vacation (both choices will fit fine in most planes, from what I've read), but it's really such a terribly small risk that anything will happen, that I've never brought two seats for my kids.

One choice that would be better than renting a seat (you never know if they'll have them or what shape it'll be in...I rented one that was truly gross once!) would be to bring a backless booster, like the cosco high rise, that costs $17 and goes from 30-100 pounds. It's small enough to bring as carry-on, and put it in the overhead bin, so that if they happen to lose your luggage, you won't be stuck at the airport.

The page in my signature also has a lot of good information about flying...it might help you decide your best course of action :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Roni M.
01-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks! That is helpful information.