PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for extra car seat?

jubuguls2
03-10-2004, 03:05 AM
My DD is currently 20 months old. Another mom with a 22 month old wants me to purchase a 2nd car seat so we can start taking turns carpooling the girls around town. Plus the grandparents could use it. My original thought was to purchase a less expensive 2nd carseat.

However, I am expecting child #2 in Sept. and will eventually need a 2nd car seat. My DD will be over 3 years old when my 2nd child will be ready to move to the convertible. Originally I thought I could use our Britax Roundabout for the 2nd child and move my 3yo DD to a booster.

I'm looking to optimize my purchases of car seats but am confused. Can anyone help me with the best option? Of course safety is more important than saving some money.

1) Is the booster or combination seat a safe choice for an extra car seat? (Both girls are about 27 lbs). Any product recommendations or stay with Britax?

2) Or should I purchase the Britax MA right now even though my 2nd child isn't here yet. (but I can use it as an extra car seat). I saw that some people had their 6 yo in the Marathon but I wasn't sure if that was typical or not.

Thank you!
Juliana

Joolsplus2
03-10-2004, 02:35 PM
You're going to be installing and using car seats for a loooong time to come, and you're used to the Roundabout (easy to install, nice non-twisty straps, extra layer of comfort foam, cute cover choices...). You could look at the Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargo, or the Evenflo Chase/Vision (those are the best combo choices available right now), but you might just ultimately be happiest with a Marathon. When your Roundabout gets outgrown by baby #2 (or it hits it's 6 year expiration date), then you can put him/her in the Marathon, and put your elder child in a nice dedicated booster seat.

I'm not saying those combo seats aren't nice enough or safe enough, they are, but if you have the money for the Marathon or even the Wizard, then I'd go for it.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats (and owner of 31 seats! lol, not all at the same time)
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jubuguls2
03-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the recommendation. I was leaning towards the Marathon but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to buy another car seat in 2 years due to growth. Thanks again.

Joolsplus2
03-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Even though the MA doesn't become a booster, it will last you a long, long time. Here's an average-sized almost 7 yo who loves his MA http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/6_year_old_in_MA.html
After the MA is outgrown, then you can go straight to a booster, and a $15 no-back booster is a fine choice for a child that age, so you aren't looking at any more big seat investments :) (Of course, if you have a major car-sleeper, you can spend $30-$120 on a highback booster, too...it's all up to you, 4 years down the road)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx