PDA

View Full Version : Fly without a car seat?

cluelesswonder
04-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I fly about 4 times a year with my DD (now 2) on long cross country flights. Right now we use a RA, but DD is 36.5" and 28 lbs and is close to out of this seat. What are the parameters for flying without a booster/convertible seat? (Age, weight, height?)

Also, if we do need to use a seat for the next couple of years, does anyone have a recommendation about a car seat that would be comfortable on a long flight and luggable? I travel with DD alone so the seat shouldn't be too heavy - between the stroller, 50 lb back pack, car seat, and toddler, I'm loaded down enough.

Thanks,
Karen

CPSDarren
04-09-2004, 07:10 PM
In general, it is safest for a child to be in a harnessed carseat up to 40 pounds, even on an airline. More importantly, you will need one for the car/limo/taxi when you arrive.

At 40 pounds, they are usually mature enough to remain seated without a child seat, using the lap belt snugly on their hips.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

ajweeks
04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
We use the Graco Ultra Cargo on the plane with my 2 year old DS. He is around 37" and 31 lbs. We also have a marathon, but the Ultra Cargo is much lighter and easier to lug through the airport than the marathon (and the RA). Since your DD is tall, the Ultra Cargo will work well because it has higher harness slots than the RA.

AmyHH
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I don't have a recommendation on what one to use but having traveled via plane quite a bit with my now 5yo daughter I have a suggestion on traveling solo. I too used a car seat, we used a convertible booster one that was approved for plane travel with the 5 point harness up to 40 lbs. We use one of those luggage cards that collapse to get it through the airport. I strap the seat in there, throw on the carry-ons bags, etc. and wheel it through the terminal. (At some point maybe 3 at 4 years old my daughter also starting wheeling her own backpack). Now that she is past 40 pounds I still travel with the booster seat because I never wanted to chance that I would not have it on the other side -- I "gate check it" right before we board and carry the luggage cart on with me.

Hope that helps!
~Amy