PDA

View Full Version : Older RA - adding LATCH

raynjen
04-18-2004, 10:17 AM
We are looking at moving back to the US at the end of this year. My daughter (25 lbs 33 ins) will be in her RA for awhile still. Since we will be buying two new cars (probably the Pontiac Vibe and the GMC Canyon) THEY will both come LATCH equipped.

My question then is this - should we purchase a new LATCHable Britax (and upgrade to a larger one) or retrofit our existing RA? I'm assuming that these can be retrofitted, right?

Also, why is it that the LATCH anchor are all outboard? If she has to sit outboard does it make a difference if it is the passenger or driver's side?

TIA

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

CPSDarren
04-18-2004, 11:00 AM
All new child seats in the USA have been equipped with LATCH for a couple years, Britax included.

Some manufacturers do still make LATCH retrofit kits for some of their models. Unfortunately, Britax is not one of them. You will have to install your current RA with a seatbelt.

It is a concern that many vehicles lack a designated LATCH position in the center of the rear seats. There are some vehicles that do have 3 pairs of LATCH anchors in back. Larger GM sedans like the Impala and some of their SUVs like the Saturn Vue come to mind offhand. Various Ford vehicles also allow LATCH in the center, though that sometimes prevents you from using LATCH in the outside positions at the same time. In any case, you can always still use the seatbelt for installation. It is just as safe if it results in a good fit. Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

There isn't really much difference between driver and passenger side. There are a few very minor considerations:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q40

If you like Britax seats, consider a Marathon, Wizard or Husky for your DD. It will fit her longer, and have LATCH as well. Use your RA installed with a seatbelt for the time being in the other vehicle. By the time she outgrows it, you may only need a less expensive booster.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

raynjen
04-18-2004, 07:42 PM
I think I am understanding you properly, let me check:

1) Use the existing Britax RA with the seatbelt and top tether in my DH's (lesser used) new vehicle.

2) Purchase a new Britax (I'm thinking the one that has side-impact protection since she has to sit outboard) for my new vehicle.

I checked your car seat compatability database and the RA works in the Pontiac Vibe - do you think that would extend to the new Britax? Also I didn't see any listings for the GMC Canyon or the Chevy Colorado (its twin). My husband is buying the four door version so that we will have proper seats with LATCH - any idea if the RA will work in there?

Thank you so much for the service you provide us!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Joolsplus2
04-18-2004, 10:20 PM
It's going to be awhile till someone enters info for those brand new cars...but I would venture to guess a Britax WOULD work in them, as they work in well over 90% of vehicles :)

I hit "reply" to your email, and it bounced! Long story short, the only way to get the Advantage cover is to call Britax directly with a credit/debit card onhand...for some reason they just are not on the website anymore....

HTH!
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

raynjen
04-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks, for trying...

Some american servers don't like my Japanese server - thus the 'bounce'. I am waiting to hear back from friend who wanted the cover. I think we can manage the price of the 1-800 number, just didn't want to spend $10 on a phone call that was going to end with a, "sorry, we don't have that." Now that she knows they exist I'm sure she'd be willing to make the call.

We have APO addresses, so I imagine they will ship to us.

Thanks again for calling them for me. It's people like you who make me so glad to be part of this forum!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

raynjen
04-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks again!
My girlfriend called and ordered it yesterday - apparently they do ship here...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Joolsplus2
04-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Oh, that's good to hear! Great :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx