PDA

View Full Version : Backless Booster seat in Grandma's car???

hmedlin
04-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I have a 3 1/2 yo, 38 lb, 40 in... My mom needs to pick her up from daycare 3 days next week, and only has one carseat that will be used for my 1 yo.

Would it be okay for me to get one of those cheapie backless BPB for this purpose? I'm thinking the lowback Turbo from Walmart or something like that. Grandma has a 2003 Mercedes with side airbags in the rear, and I was thinking I could put the baby/FPSE in the outboard position, so she can use the lowback BPB with the middle shoulder belt.

Is this a safe plan? The last time that either of my kids rode in Grandma's car was in 2003...it is such a rare occurrance and she's never had them both...that I'd like to go as economical as possible, but if its not going to be safe I will get another carseat.

TIA!!!
Harley

masetane
05-03-2004, 09:05 PM
The thing to think about is does the strap correctly fall on your child's shoulder? My 3.5 year old needs the back of the Graco so that I can put the strap in the guide. If not it doesn't hit her in the right place and therefore unsafe. I just bought the Graco Turbo Booster for my mothers car. My own personal opinion is not to go "cheapie" and get the Graco Turbo Booster with the back. BEtter safe than sorry! Hope that helps. (I think Sears had them on sale recently for $50)
caroline