PDA

View Full Version : car seat for tall 2 year old

daisy
04-30-2004, 06:03 PM
What seat do you recommend for a 33 lb. 39 in. 2 year-old? I definitely want to keep him harnessed in a 5-point belt. We currently have the Britax Roundabout and are very happy. The only reason we're looking at one now is so we can have a second seat for Dad's car so we can stop lugging the seat between cars. I was hoping to find one that would last beyond the 40 lbs. so we could get some years of use out of it.

Thank you!

riostoker
04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Has he outgrown the Britax RA in height yet? It seems like he should have. My 2 yr old DD outgrew the RA at about 37 inches. She has a long torso, so that may be the reason, but you may want to look at where your DS's shoulders are in relation to the straps. The straps should be at or above his shoulders, not below (when forward facing). If you're in the top slot for the harness, and it has to come up over his shoulders, he has outgrown it.

Anyway... to answer your original question, when DD outgrew the RA, we got her the Graco Platinum Cargo Booster, and I love it! I actually like it better than the RA. It has one higher position for the five point harness than the RA, so it should last us a while. Once she is older, she can use it as a belt-positioning booster. In the Toddler Bargains book, they recommend either the Graco Platinum Cargo or the Evenflo Apollo/Comet if you need a booster with a 5-pt. harness.

I don't know much about the Britax Marathon and Husky, but I know a lot of people rave about them, so you might want to investigate those.

Good luck!
ann

daisy
05-02-2004, 09:57 PM
He may have outgrown it. He definitely has a long torso build and when I was looking in the rearview mirror the other day he looked too tall for it, but I'm not sure if it is all the way up (it's the Advantage model with the twist adjust). When I looked on the website, they talked about the tips of the ears being over the plastic...does that mean the sides?

Thanks for your response!

Joolsplus2
05-03-2004, 04:25 PM
The Advantage is a smidgen shorter than the RA, harness wise, so kids do tend to outgrow it younger. The tips of the ears being above the top of the seatback is what to look for...but by that point, the shoulders are usually at least a bit above the harness "slots".

Either a combo or the marathon or husky would be good choices...it really depends how long you want to keep him harnessed (the combo seat would last to age 3.5 or 4, the marathon to 5, probably 6, and the husky till age 8-10)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats (6.5 yo ds in a Husky, 4.5 yo dd in a Marathon)
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx