PDA

View Full Version : Can you fit 3 Britaxes in a row?

shishamo
05-10-2004, 10:03 PM
We are buying a second car, and I wanted to have carseats in there also (I have 4, 2, and one on the way). Which means I'm now thinking of getting a 3 new carseats. I want something that is safe and comfortable for a long trip and ease of napping.

From what I read, the best seats for my 4 year old (40 lbs, 43") will be Husky, the best seat for my 2 year old (30 lbs, 35") will be Wizard or Marathon. Now, for my newborn, I am thinking of getting a Marathon or Wizard after she outgrows her infant carseat (probably around 4 months or so, I have big babies). Here is the catch: I would really prefer to have all 3 in a 2nd row of either SUV or minivan with 3 rows that we are buying. It seems that it is impossible to fit 2 marathons (FF and RF) and Husky in a row. Am I correct?
If so, what should I do, put one child in the third row, or buy different seats? How unsafe is it to have my 4 year old in a booster (such as Britax Bodyguard or Graco Turbobooster) compared to a 5 point parnessed seat (Husky)?

Joolsplus2
05-11-2004, 03:54 PM
You might be able to fit three, but probably not if a Husky is one of them, and trying to buckle a booster next to 2 harnessed seats can be murder on your knuckles (though he's big enough for a Bodyguard, and that's a great seat for younger kids, IMO, due to the locking lapbelt and the sidewings that restrict movement).

I love having a minivan with captain's chairs, as it is so easy to get back to buckle a child in the third row (I used to have a 7-seater SUV, and it was horrible to try to get to that third row...and I only had 2 kids!)

The Husky is a great seat, but it doesn't offer a lot of flexibility in where you can put it and how easy it is to move around. I feel my kids are about as safe in a Bodyguard, but it's up to you to decide how still your ds is able to sit in it (The Recaro Start has a locking shoulderbelt and side impact protection...costs a small fortune, but it's a VERY well constructed seat, too, and I thought I'd mention it).

If you haven't decided which kind of car to go with, you might want to take a peak at this http://www.suvsafety.info/

Hope that helps a little bit,
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx