PDA

View Full Version : Britax marathon and Placement of Car Seat

heyrocco
06-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi. My son is 2 years 4 months old, 36 lbs, and 38.5 inches tall. I have been using the Britax Roundabout but he is about to outgrow it any day! :) Both Buy Buy Baby and Babies R Us recommended I buy him a booster seat but I think he is too young to sit properly in a booster seat now. I have been considering the Britax Marathon, what are your thoughts?

I also want to know where the safest placement of the car seat is in the back seat. We are expecting a baby in September so I will no longer be able to use the center seat for him. Is it safer to put his car seat on the driver or passenger side of the car?

Thanks

Alyson

Joolsplus2
06-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Ah, here's your post :) I emailed you.
Actually? It's much safer to have the baby on the side seat, and the forward facing child in the middle. Infant and rearfacing seats are remarkably more protective than forward facing seats, and you want to put "the least protected child in the most protected spot". That said, there was NO way my 2 yo could safely sit next to my baby without hurting her, and I HAD to put them both "outboard". I put the baby behind me, since there was nothing I could really do for her short of pulling over, but my 2 yo could be handed things if he needed them.
If you trust the toddler next to the baby, It's ideal to put him in the center, and put the baby on whichever side is most convenient or that you feel most comfortable with...it's really a personal preference thing.
You probably can't go wrong with a Marathon...since you can hand it down, you'll get lots of years of use out of it, which makes up for the price, and it's a very comfy seat for toddlers :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

heyrocco
06-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Ok, thanks. Would you recommed I buy the Wizard instead of the Marathon since it has better side impact protection?

Alyson

Joolsplus2
06-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, probably...is there a place you can try it out? Most kids like the wizard, but some are unfond of the headwings. But even though all 5-pt seats are quite safe, including in side impacts, my feeling is, if you can afford it, you can never be TOO safe, right? And the dial-harness-height feature is pretty nifty, I must say....
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx