PDA

View Full Version : yet another big 2 year old--marathon? wizard?

twodogsandababy
06-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I know this question has been asked, but not in just this way and not in a while. So if the carseat gurus here don't mind, I'll ask it again.

At 26 months, my daughter is about 38 inches tall and 36 pounds, with no immediate signs of slowing. Height, weight, head circumference are all well above the 95th percentile. At this rate, she will outgrow her Roundabout long before she's old enough for a belt-positioning booster. She also spends a lot of time traveling on busy interstates at high speeds, so safety is paramount. And we need two seats. Safety and convenience matter more than money--we'll buy two $300 seats if that's what we need.

Am I right in thinking that our only real choices for a five-point harness are the Marathon, Wizard, and Husky? Or has something else come on the market since then? Everything else seems to top out at 40 lbs for 5-pt harnesses. We fly a lot and always buy her a seat, which probably rules out the Husky. Also, we plan to have a second child in the next year or so, which means our daughter will need to move to the outboard position so the baby can go in the center. I have a Subaru Forester, and I doubt I could get a Husky next to my Snugride or Roundabout in that car.

Given my daughter's overall size, particularly her big head, I'm guessing that the Wizard "wings" might pose a problem. Do they really offer that much of a safety advantage? I can live without the adjustable harness. If that's the case, should we buy Marathons?

Thank goodness for Britax's wide range of seats! I'd really be in trouble otherwise.

twodogsandababy
06-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Aha, a bit more investigation and I see that the Nania Airway might also fit these specs. If money is not a serious object, should I go for the Britax?

Joolsplus2
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
I own a Husky, Marathon, and Airway, and really would more tend to recommend the Marathon or Wizard to you, given your dd's age. Or maybe one MA/WZ and one Husky? The Airway is really just ok, unless you are on a very tight budget. It's harder to use correctly than the others, by a long shot, unfortunately.
Can you try out the Wizard? The wings really may not be a problem at all, I know lots of older kids who really DO like their Wizards :)
I don't really know how much safer the wings make it, though if I could afford one for my dd, I'd buy it (she's almost big enough for the Bodyguard, and we have one of those for my DS that we all really like, no problems with the headwings at all)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

twodogsandababy
07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Yikes, I read this but forgot to thank you! Belated thanks for your help! I'll have her try out the Wizard in the store, and if she doesn't like it, the Marathon will be it for us.