PDA

View Full Version : An early move to a booster...?

DebHgn
06-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I feel guilty asking everyone's opinion on this, but just hypothetically...

I know that if you have a child who is 40 inches tall but only 35 pounds that the obvious safe recommendation is to keep the child in a 5-point harness as long as possible (meaning Marathon) rather than move to a booster which is recommended (in some states by law) for children over 40 lbs, even though some seats rate starting at 30 pounds...

But hypothetically, how bad do you think it is it to move a child early into a booster?

$250ish for a Marathon that takes up 2 back seats is a big committment as a bridge seat between a Roundabout and a true booster. I am a safety fanatic, and so expect this is what I will do. But before I commit, just wanted to gather some opinions here on safety of a barely 3 year old 35 lbs 39.5 inches in a conventional booster...

Thanks in advance for your insights!

cjmot97
06-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Don't feel guilty. I was going to post a similar question but I read the forum just below your question which helped me make my decision. Balancing money, safety and use is so important when raising children.

Like the mom below, I too have a 9 month old that is ready to move into the Britax RA and a 3 year old that is not quite ready for a true booster (also 35 pounds).

From a safety standpoint, a harness system as long as you can have it is the best. I am a therapist and have treated so many kiddos in car accidents that I guess I am so safety over-conscious that I would shell out the money for the Marathon. If nothing else, you know it will go through 2 kids.

I have debated about the same issue and I think I am going to end up with the Marathon and then when my 3 year old is ready for a true booster, who knows what will be on the market. Plus they aren't as expensive as the convertible seats.

Like the mom's below I swore I would never buy a Britax, but my Roundabout has been terrific and I would rather be safe than sorry. If you have the budget, go for the Marathon. If money is an issue, the Graco is a good option and it IS RATED for kids as low as 30#.
Good luck.
CJM

Joolsplus2
06-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Why not an Ultra Cargo or an Evenflo Chase? They will allow harnessing for probably at least another year (till 40 pounds) and then can either be handed down and get a plain booster, or you can use them as boosters. Ultra Cargos are as cheap as $64 at sears, up to $99 for the Platinum cargo at babies r us. Much cheaper than a Marathon, but allows harnessing till 40 pounds.
Yes, you can put a 3 year old in a booster that starts at 30 pounds, legally, but they tend to wiggle and slump so much more than an older child in a booster (I'm on vacation now at grandma's and my normally harnessed 4.5 year old is a nightmare in a booster! She leans all over the place and it gives me so much of a headache...ugh. My 6.5 yo, on the other hand, does much better...when he was almost 3, though, he thought it was big fun to unbuckle his seatbelt... :( )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebHgn
06-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Julie, thank you as always for your insights and expertise.

I didn't know there were other seats with higher than 40 inches limits besides the Marathon. I wil look into these, especially the Cargo. Do you know though...Consumer Reports rated the Cargo back in 2002 I think as use w/ caution as a booster because of straps in accident. But they also noted it as discontinued. Has Graco fixed the problem? Can we be assured of the saftey of this seat as a booster, as well? If so, worth giving checking out!

Joolsplus2
06-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Consumer Reports tested a Cargo, but it was the one with no front harness adjuster...that may be discontinued.
As a booster it's really fine. Their concern is the seatbelt guides may get stuck and introduce slack into the shoulderbelt on the child. The best way to avoid this is to just not use the belt guides. They aren't mandatory or needed for safety, just comfort for shorter children. If you go to 40 pounds harnessed, then your child will be tall enough they should fit just fine without the guides :)

As for the height limits, it may state they are 43 inches, but that is just a guideline...it's more important that the shoulders not go above the top harness slots. My son fit in this seat and the chase till he was about 5.5 or 6 and 46-47 inches (that's when he hit 40 pounds, he's a real stringbean!)

Good luck shopping!

peacetome
06-18-2004, 05:20 PM
I just posted a message about my petite 3 year old and I need to get her brother into her Britax harness seat. I want her to be safe since she is only 28 pounds but I don't want to get another harness system right now. It sounds like you are suggestiing the Britax Marathon or the Graco.Which Graco?

Momof3Labs
06-18-2004, 10:44 PM
I posted a few links for you to read on your other thread... At only 28lbs, you still need a harness system for your daughter to keep her safe. The Britax Marathon, Britax Husky and Graco Cargo are all possibilities, among many others.

Joolsplus2
06-19-2004, 01:03 PM
The Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo or the Evenflo Chase are your best choices. They will harness, with high top slots and front harness adjusters, till she is 40 pounds. That's not only safer than putting her in a booster now, but your only legal option...there are no belt positioning boosters that start below 30 pounds. If you get the Marathon, she can be safest of all....Rearfacing :)
Anyway, if you get the Cargo or Chase, they will last you the full 6 years (since you can hand it down to baby later and the harness heights are taller than the Roundabout) plus they can be used as boosters afer 40 pounds.