PDA

View Full Version : new seat for twins

kkull
06-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Hello

My faternal twins boys will be 4 in Aug. One of my sons is 41 inches and 34 lbs and the other is only 38 inches and 30 lbs. The taller of the two is has outgrown the height capacity of his Britax RA. I would like to buy new seats that both could use safely. I want the option of 5 pt harness. Since we will be buying two seats cost is a consideration ( 4 RAs about killed us but was well worth the money). My car is their primary source of transportation but I would like a seat that is easily moved to dad or grandparents car.

I have seen a lot of reccomindations for the graco Ultra and platinum cargo. I don't understand how the belt positioners work.

Where can I go to read safety reports on booster seats?

Thanks

Joolsplus2
06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
There really aren't specific safety reports on seats. They have to pass the government standards to get on store shelves, and that's pretty much it. A seat that is easy to used properly every time is safe, and that's why the Britaxes are often so highly recommended: because they are SO easy to use properly. That's also why the Cargos are recommended: fairly non-twist straps, smooth harness adjustment, pretty easy to install, and one bonus, the taller top harness slots so thinner, taller children can be harnessed to a full 40 pounds. The Evenflo Chase also fits this description, and parents can choose between those two and basically get the same features, but at least get to express a preference in style or harness adjustment or fit to child and car (Cosco combo seats, thus far, have low top harness slots, so they are fine for stockier children, but they also have low back heights and won't last as long as boosters, so I don't often recommend them specifically, though they are perfectly safe).

Also, the Roundabouts are not outgrown by height till the shoulders are just above the top slots (make sure the cover hasn't pulled down making the slots look lower), or the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seatback, or the weight limit is reached. I don't know if that gives you any more time in your seats (41 inches sounds about right to grow out of it...), but it's good to know.

Oh, as for the belt positioners on the Cargo or Chase they are for comfort positioning, to get the belt off the child's neck, and sometimes the belt can get loose over the child's body and be stuck that way. Usually if you harness till 40 pounds, they will be so tall they won't need the belt guides at all...just buckle the belt over child and seat and they are comfortable and safe without fiddling with the guides at all.

Hope that helps a little,
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx