PDA

View Full Version : Early move to booster? pt. 2--Marathon not working for us?

DebHgn
06-27-2004, 01:29 PM
In all my research, I've never come across this situation... My 3 year old claims 5 pt. harness (Roundabout) hurt her, dig into her crotch (she doesn't sit all the way back), shoulders, etc. Her shoulders are indeed above top slot, so figured because she's outgrown it.

Since she's 35.5 lbs and 39.5 inches, went to Babies R Us and tried out Marathon and Wizard, Graco Cargo, and Evenflo Chase, in hope of better height fit to keep her harnessed until she meets 40lbs recommended weight for booster.

Well, she cried and screamed harness pressing into her, etc. Hates all those seats.

She loved Graco Turbobooster.

Husband doesn't understand why we should buy yet another seat (Marathon), one that takes up too much room in car just to last 5 lbs, when she specs out now for the 30lbs the Turbooster weight guideline. He doesn't see why 5 pt harness that much safer at her age/weight/size, since seatbelt holds booster seat.

In fact, on way home, a car pulled right in front of us. I didn't see any way to avoid hitting it, but somehow my husband braked/swerved/skidded (credit both him and Outback for good handling) and we just missed hitting idiot car. He still feels child would have been jsut as safe in booster.

1) Is he right? While we all agree 5 pt safer, is it feasible that booster just as safe as this point, since car seatbelt holds child?

2) I would personally get the Marathon until she hits 40 lbs and just let her complain... This may indeed actually be what we end up doing.

3) But if we did move earlyish to a booster...

I like Britax and if we had to move to a booster early, I like the Bodyguard. But it specs 4 years old, 40lbs, 43 inches.

Assuming she appears to fit into Bodyguard (Babies R Us not stocking since "overpriced" so need to go to Right Start to test) is it that bad to move early into this seat? Stariser doesn't look as solid as Bodyguard, though it specs out for a lower minimum weight. Assuming her head fits into BOdygard head guards, would it be that bad to move early into Bodyguard? Or must I get a Turbobooster or Komfort Kruiser?

Thanks as always to Julie and everyone else for your wisdom and insights!

Joolsplus2
06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Ok, I was going to tread lightly on this one, and my critics can feel free to flame me, I can take it.
If she really hates the Marathon (I really HAVE heard of one or two kids who are simply, utterly, miserable in a harness) then I would go early into the Bodyguard. In fact, I put my own dd in it, and she's 6 pounds and 2 inches too small. It's just the only booster I'm very comfortable with for her (though she loves her marathon, so it's not a daily thing), even though it breaks the rules. I find she fits beautifully in it, and it keeps her quite well restrained. The headwings are great, not a problem at all, my elder ds even wishes they were MORE restrictive.
Obviously, using a seat against recommendations (hmmm...does she fit the requirements with snowboots and a heavy sweater on? lol) is going to be a parental decision and can cause possible legal issues should the unlikely event that your dd is injured and you need to take legal action against Britax (this is THE worst-case scenario, I must say), and you have to find out if she is comfortable in it and the belt lockoffs aren't a big issue for you.
Of course, you could also consider the Husky? Definitely legal, safe, and with years of growing room in that thing ;)

So, long story short, it's up to you....and it's very possible if you go with the MA anyway, she'll get used to it just fine, too....

Tough decisions, yeah????
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebHgn
06-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks Julie, for the insight.

Obviously I feel safest wrestling her into a Wizard (that way I can easily switch seat between children w/ adjustable knob--since 3 year old hates seats anyway, she might as well hate the wings, too), if possible.

But if it truly ends up not working, I do think it makes sense to use the heaviest duty booster even though E is a little young for one.

For the final answer: Is the Bodyguard considered the best, safest, of the booster? I want the strongest,safest, of course. Is anything else considered safer?

We tried Bodyguard out today at Right Start, and it does seem to fit. She's not even small for it.

Thanks, thanks, thanks for the many replies as I struggle through a decision for a child who is simply in between!