PDA

View Full Version : Tall 2 1/2 yr old, need help!!

kenlaney
07-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi.

My son will be 3 in October. He is about 40" and 38 pounds, so I have "a little" time before he needs a booster. He's currintly in the Britax RA, but growing out quickly. I really don't want to get a Marathon due to price restraints (several cars, including granparents and physical size of seat).

I saw the Britax Bodyguard has a minimum height requirement of 43" to go along with the 40 pound minimum. I highly doubt my son will grow 3 inches by the time he gains 2 more pounds. Would it be bad to put him in the booster under the 43"?

I was also looking at the Compass B500. It looks nice and has some decent ratings, but I know Britax has a top-notch reputation. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Joolsplus2
07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I could swear I answered this...hmm...guess not....
Anyway, I'm quite sure my 40" dd was 43 inches with shoes on (hint, hint) and she was already too tall for the bottom setting of the Bodyguard. It's a great choice for younger kids, I wish the height and weight limits were lower, since it's just SO secure for them...
The compass is also nice, well padded, eps foam, flip up armrests...is there any way you can try them both out and see which you like better?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kenlaney
07-08-2004, 09:51 AM
I could probably try them both out. I like the look of the Compass more than the Britax, but I'm concerned with people's complaints about the lack of recline for sleeping kids and their heads flopping around. I do like the fact that the entire torso are extends upwards. The lack of it being a "brand name" is a slight concern, but people seem to be satisfied with their purchases.

For the Britax, I really like the seatbelt lockdown. I've heard concerns of kids pulling on the seatbelt and moving it out of position (especially if they're younger). I guess I could fully extend the belt and let it "lock" back into place. I just don't know if that would be uncomfortable for my son.

I guess I'll make my decision by the end of summer (unless I go crazy and buy it this weekend, so I don't have to deal with the big carseat when we go on a plane next week.)

Joolsplus2
07-08-2004, 10:52 AM
If you're going on a plane next week, I may not be able to stop you from buying a compass, since of course it folds down and the BG is not going to be a great traveller (can't take the back off, and it's quite heavy).
I can relate from way too many personal experiences that not taking your current seat is going to be a nightmare for you (you'll survive, but don't say I didn't warn you, lol) I brought my 2.5 yo with just a no-back booster, and he kept unbuckling it. He's older now, but now his 4.5 yo leans all over the place in the nbb at grandma's..it's like the new car and the new freedom of the new seats is too much for them to handle, and the leaning out of position is totally out of control (hmmm...making that compass look better and better, aren't I? my dd was quite a bit better in the highback booster i finally had to buy at grandmas, then she was in the no-back booster).
I think I'd find a way to bring your current seat and check it, either gate-check, or put it in a big bag or box and check it with luggage, but that's just my experience...I wish wish wish I'd brought our Marathon with us on the last trip we took, so I'm kind of in that mode of thinking right now, lol.
Oh, Compass was founded in part by an ex-evenflo employee and some other fellows from the industry...they had a rather impressive display at the Lifesavers conference this year, and I thought the seat seemed exceptionally well made :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kenlaney
07-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks. I probably won't get the seat now, but lugging the Roundabout on the plane isn't the worst. I did it last year. It's just carrying it from the street, thru the terminal, thru security, to the gate, on and off the plane, etc. It's heavy along with the few pieces of luggage, a couple of backpacks, a rampaging 2 1/2 yo, my wife, maybe our Maclaren Techno XT.

It's endless. I'm unsure about the stroller, only because we rarely use it now and it's just 1 more thing to carry.

Again, thanks for all your help. I'm probably leaning more towards the Compass now.

sobers3
07-14-2004, 09:11 AM
The RA fits in many strollers attached by a bungee cord. I think it will fit in the Techno and then you can just push your child in the Techno seated in the RA. Any RA/Techno owners out there who have done this sucessfully? HTH