PDA

View Full Version : Should I be looking at a booster?

brubeck
07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
DD is 43.5 months and is closing in quickly on 40 lbs. She is quite tall (42") too. I'm hoping to make it until age 4 in her forward facing Britax (an Expressway) but then I suspect we'll be over the 40 lb limit for that seat.

Recently she learned how to completely undo the Expressway constraints (including pressing the red button to release the bottom of the 5 point harness) but we were able to convince her that she could not do this while the car was driving and she had to wait until we got to our destination. She undoes her own buckles as I am taking her baby brother out of his RA. This leads me to believe that she is mature enough to stay in a booster and not unbuckle the belt while I am driving.

She rarely sleeps in the car anymore and when she does she doesn't slump over nearly as much as her little brother (2 years younger).

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to avoid having to use something like a Marathon for such a short period of time.

Joolsplus2
07-06-2004, 01:26 PM
You would probably get about 3 years use out of the Marathon (heightwise, most kids fit in it till age 6 at least...and all the better if she can buckle herself in, then you don't have to spend any extra time doing it...my 4.5 yo does a better, faster job buckling her MA than my dh does when he buckles her in!), and a full 6 years use out of a Husky, but switching to a booster at this point probably wouldn't be UNsafe, it's really up to your level of comfort with shifting to a slightly less safe seat and her ability to sit in position in it(every graduation up the seat ladder is a reduction in protection, unfortunately).
That said, even my kids have ridden in backless boosters from age 3 on and done generally fine in them (sitting still, not falling over when asleep, always keeping the belts in the right position).

It's a soul searching process that depends on how many crash test videos you've watched on the Discovery channel and the news, and your personal assessment of risk. On the one hand, I've seen a 4 yo walk away from a horrific crash who was in a backless booster, on the other hand, when those side impact crash tests come on TV with the SUV bumper plowing into the car door and the dummies heads fly out and hit the SUV hood, I swear my kids will never travel in anything but a Husky again (well, not till I have side curtain airbags in all rows, lol)

Anyway, not much help, am I? For the most part, my kids (almost 7 and 5 now) are in a Husky and a Marathon, but we also really love the Bodyguard and the Turbo is quite nice. We even use backless boosters for trips with friends (though my son asked last time if he could bring his Husky in his friend's mom's car! No way, kiddo, that thing is huge! ;) )

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

brubeck
07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the advice Julie. Good to know I'm not way out there with my thoughts!

I know a car seat is technically safer but frankly I just don't have room for a huge Marathon in my car and it seems like my DD is mature enough to be in a booster, so if it's not UNsafe then I'll probably go with that. I was seriously looking at the new Nritax one (is that the Bodyguard?) but plan to have DD sit in it in the store to make sure the head wings don't freak her out. I am hoping that BRU will have a discount on it with their Fall Baby Sale. If it doesn't work I'll look at that new Graco one (is that the Turbo?) since it got good marks in Toddler Bargains.

brubeck
08-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Well DD officially hit 40 pounds last week so yesterday we went to a B&M store to try out the Bodyguard. I was very impressed at the side impact protection. It was obviously a big safety improvement over the Turbobooster or even the Starriser Comfy.

DD seemed to like the seat and didn't mind the head wings. She was able to see around them by leaning out slightly (she normally does this when she sits anyhow) and I LOVE that there is a locking clip for the belt. Why didn't any of the reviews mention that?

Anyhow, I found it for $109 online (no shipping or tax) and ordered it. I'm looking forward to getting it!

Thanks for the advice!

Joolsplus2
08-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh neat :)
We just love our Bodyguard more and more the longer we have it...I'm planning on having 4 of them pretty soon (2 in fiesta for dh's car and one camo and one pretty paisley in the van, lol) as soon as dd outgrows her beloved "blue's clues" Fido Marathon ;)

Hope you really love yours, and glad you like the belt lockoffs, too (they DO have to be used, as the seat is quite heavy and they prevent loading of the seat weight onto the child in a crash).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

brubeck
08-30-2004, 01:37 PM
FYI I saw FIesta online for $98 through Yahoo Shopping/ I think there was free shipping too.