PDA

View Full Version : another booster question for 2nd car

jmac588
07-30-2004, 03:52 PM
I have a Britax RA for my 16mo and (regrettably) the Graco Platinum CarGo for my 3 1/2yo. I went cheap and didn't get the Marathon and will kick myself over that decision every single day. Even if at the time it seemed like alot, a little scrimping and saving would have been SO worth it. But that's another story....

My first question:
In grandma's car, there is another CarGo and an older 3pt pull over the head type seat. That seems to be fine, they drive maybe 1.5 miles on very local streets the few times they have to pick the kids up from daycare (1x/month). The problem there is that they take the carseats in and out of the car as needed so I'm not there to supervise the installation. A have found the CarGo to not be a snug fit on at least one occassion in their car. My dh says that it's a PITA to install and that it's no surprise that my father can't get it right. (He has a new Cadillac if that helps). Would it be safer to use it as a belt positioning booster in that case? I don't know much about boosters, but I've read a million times that the best car seat is the one that is used correctly. And let's assume the minimum weight has been reached.

Second question:
My dh also has the same 3pt pull over the head type seat, but needs another that can be used by my 3 1/2 yo if he has both kids with him. Mind you, he has a big truck. It's a Ford F250 Super Duty. I even have to pay more insurance because of what IT can DO to another vehicle in an accident!! So safety of the vehicle itself is not a major concern here. If he ever needed to pick the kids up from daycare, he would drive not even a half mile from our house to the school on a very residential street. The daycare is on the corner. Considering this, would I be fine if I got a true booster and didn't worry about another 5pt seat? I think I would be okay since he'll be 4 in a few months and he might drive in the truck a half dozen times before his bday.

Sorry so long but this booster stuff is so confusing since safety is always the priority, but being realistic counts for something too!!!

Thanks.

Jill

Joolsplus2
08-03-2004, 04:15 PM
For short trips, I don't think using a booster for a 3 yo is bad at all, as long as he can be reminded to sit properly in the seat with the seatbelt ON his shoulder (this can be a big problem with littler kids in the Cargo, make sure the belt is ON his shoulder, not an inch or 2 in front of his shoulder. When you say "new" cadillac, doesn't it have LATCH? Can't the Cargo be installed easily and well enough that way? I understand not wanting to leave seat installation up to the non-obsessed, though, lol, so do what you think is best :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx