PDA

View Full Version : need a backless booster for car pool, and other questions...

kk
08-13-2004, 08:08 PM
My DD is almost 4, almost 40 pounds, and pretty tall. She is mature enough to sit in a backless booster for car pool in a friend's car. What is a good backless booster for carpool purposes? Anything out there that may be discontinued that I should look for? (I like a bargain!)

Her two seats are the Evenflo Comet and the Platnium cargo. WOuld either of these work as a booster (without harness)? I think I'm going to get the Turbobooster for my car and use either the Comet or Cargo as a booster in DH car. But, if that's a bad idea, i may buy 2 turbos.

Next question: my younger DD (almost 2 and also big) sits in a RA in my car (plan to keep) and a Century Accel in DH car. Would she be better off in the the Comet or Cargo (with harness) than the Accel? I am leaning on putting her in the Cargo since it works so well with the harness in terms of adjustment, size, etc.

thanks! Kristan

Joolsplus2
08-14-2004, 11:36 AM
As far as backless boosters go, you can't beat the Cosco Ambassador for price and weight range ($14 at walmart, 30-100 pounds)...it's also light enough for a kid to carry themselves!
The accel has short top slots, so you'll probably find yourself wanting to put your 2yo in the Cargo sooner rather than later, irrespective of harness ease-of-use.
See how the Comet works as a booster before you take the harness out. Does the shoulderbelt stay right on your dd's shoulder? Does the lapbelt stay low on her lap? Do you need to use the belt guides? Does the belt stick in them? Is it easy for you or your dd to buckle? If it gets a poor testing review from you guys, then save it for when the 2 yo outgrows her RA, and get a Turbo or 2 for your 4 yo :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kk
08-14-2004, 11:25 PM
follow up question: First, thanks for your input. You're right; the 2 yo is almost taller than the Accel straps. She's in the Cargo as of today (which, by the way, i love! The straps stay untwisted and the adjustment mechanism reminds me of the RA).

New question: What is the NARROWIST backless booster? The Turbo backless is too wide. I need to get three across in a Volvo wagon for carpool. What really stinks is that I HAVE an integrated booster, but Volvo says it is for kids 50 to 80 pounds. (and, wouldn't you know it, it fits my older DD perfectly but she's only 40#.)

Thanks so much. Kristan

Joolsplus2
08-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh eeek...the three across in a Volvo...man, that's a toughie!
Ok, the narrowest booster currently is the Britax Starriser Comfy (or just the Starriser base without the comfy back). If you take the padding off the armrests, it's easier to buckle.
Next, though not narrowest, is the Evenflo Right Fit. These are hard(ish) to find and over price...check Ebay for new in box models. What's good about the right fit is that the armrests are practically non existent, so you can get your hand in there to buckle.
Another choice would be a highback MyCargo. Can you try your current cargo as a booster and see if it's easy to buckle in a tight spot? It's narrow and has no armrests, so it could work well.

Here's a page from a very helpful mom with three in a Volvo that might give you some idea of what you're in for http://pages.ivillage.com/uccomama/id6.html (she has a built-in, too, but I think it's totally stuck in the UP position and she can't use it!)

kk
08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond, but thanks for your advice. I am having a hard time finding the starriser without the back. Any suggestions?

What about the Nania POlo? It looks to be VERY narrow.

If you know the Volvo mom with the car booster in "UP" position, let her know it may not be stuck. It is very tricky to open. If you just yank the thing down, it locks. You have to open it slightly, then pull the fabric top and metal bottom apart like a clamshell.

And about the integrated booster, my husband wants to know why we cannot use that. He theorizes it is safer because it is integrated into the seat and the seat belt has a better position on our daughter's shoulder. Is he right, or is there some safety reasoning not to use it (other than Volvo putting the weight limit at 50#); she's pretty close to being tall enough?

thank you again. Kristan

Joolsplus2
08-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks, I'll pass that Volvo info along (unless the mom pops in here...she sometimes does!).
The Polo, I have found to be beastly in the Volvo with three across...it's narrow, but those armrests are the total pits...they are so tall and thick!
I can't seem to find the starriser minus the comfy, either...darn (there was only one store that used to carry it, they must have run out and are no longer being made???).
If YOU feel comfortable that your dd fits properly on the built-in booster, then you can certainly make the parental decision to use it against manufacturers directions. I have no idea why the miniumu weight is so high...hmm...well, maybe I do know why...the FMVSS 213 rulings for car seats don't apply to products/children over 50 pounds, so they were able to skirt some sort of testing or liability by setting the lowest weight at 50, but it's impossible for ME to say what their reasons really are. (maybe if you call volvo corporate, they can give you an answer or exemption, but be prepared to hear the simple, "you have to follow the manual" answer :P ).

Maybe the My Cargo, which is a highback booster, but only $29 and comes in the disney princess (or an understated blue plaid) pattern at walmart, and has no armrests and is also very narrow would work, too...it's cheap, and of course they have a terrific return policy...
Also look for the Evenflo Right Fit (try ebay for new in box ones, they are much cheaper there) has extremely minimal armrests (my apologies if i've mentioned this above, it's been a few busy days between postings!)

kk
08-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the information. I saw our car pool buddy tonight; he's small enough to sit in DD#2's RA or Cargo with harness when I only drive DD#1. DD#1 will stay in her Turbobooster in my car. In the rare event when I have both of my kids and car pool friend, my DD will go in the integrated booster.

I shall still seek a booster for Volvo. I only work parttime, but I have a full time lawyer brain! I keep hearing the prosecutor yelling at me..."isn't it true you KNEW the integrated booster was only for a 50 pound child, and your daughter is only 41 pounds?!?"

Thanks again for all of your help!

Kristan