PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on which car seat given age/weight of children

sd mom 2004
08-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Hi everyone -
After reading many posts on this board, I think I've decided on purchasing the Marathon, but thought I would ask advice based on my kids ages & sizes.

I have a 3 1/2 yr old dd, (28 lbs, 36"). She's in a Britax RA and loves it. However, I have an almost 1yr old dd (15 lbs, 27") which I just realized is over the height limit in her Graco Snugride carseat.

I'd like to move the 1yr old to the RA, and purchase another seat for the 3 1/2 yr old.

Given that both girls are on the petite size - does anyone have any recommendations? Would the Marathon be the best choice, or are there others that might be better? Especially since they are small, I'm more comfortable with having them harnessed as long as possible. I'd also consider getting the Marathon for the primary car (2001 Acura MDX SUV - no latch), and another less costly option for a secondary car (We need to purchase a 2nd car soon if I return to work - not sure what yet - possibly a Minivan of some sort).

Any advice is appreciated - thank you.

Joolsplus2
08-28-2004, 12:21 AM
If you are fond of the quality of your Roundabout, then you would probably love the Marathon as a primary seat for your 3 yo. If your budget is really tight, then the Ultra/Platinum Cargo (new models have EPS foam and gracopedic foam and are quite cushy) or the Evenflo Chase or Generations. These will only harness to 40 pounds, but with such light children, that will be at least age 5, maybe even age 6)
For reference, I have thin light children, too...my 43 pound 7 yo is *just* too tall for the MA, and my 36 pound almost 5 yo still has at least 18 months till she's too tall for the Marathon, and I don't know what she'll weigh by then, maybe 40 pounds?
Either way you go, Marathon or Graco/Evenflo, you should get a good long time harnessing before you move to a good booster like the Bodygaurd or Turbo (kids age 5+ are usually ready for boosters).

So, it's up to your preferences and your budget...try to find these seats locally and play with them, if possible, to see which you think would work best for you and your dd and your car.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sd mom 2004
08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Thank you for the advice!
As I do love the Roundabout, I'll probably do that for the primary car, and will look at the others you recommend for a second car, or maybe Grandma's.