PDA

View Full Version : What to choose????

lynzie
09-09-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm struggling with what booster to choose for my 4-year old. He is currently in a Britax Roundabout, which we have loved, but is nearly too tall for it. He only weighs 30lbs which is what is complicating matters. Our state law requires kids to be in a harness until 40lbs so I'm narrowed to a combo booster but most of the seats I've looked at seem so cheesy with the padding. I guess I've been spoiled by Britax. Wish they'd come out with a harness/booster. He already is hating the fact that he is in a "baby" carseat while his friends are in "big kid" seats so I really need to find something that has a harness, adequate padding and is a booster... tall order to fill. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Lyn

Joolsplus2
09-10-2004, 12:19 AM
There are 2 brands of seats with higher top harness slots than the Roundabout: Evenflo and Graco. Their combos are the Chase, Traditions, Ultra Cargo, and Platinum Cargo (first two are Evenflos, last two are Gracos). None of the Cosco/Eddie Bauer seats have higher top harness slots, so don't even bother with them.
Either the Graco or Evenflo should be fine...try him in them, see if you like the harness adjusters, padding, straps, cupholders...and go with the one you prefer.
You can do a little "attitude innoculation" with him about not being in a "big boy seat"...let him know that 5-pt harnesses are safest, just like racecar drivers and pilots! And make it clear that mom lays down the law in this matter...that will help a lot when he sees his friends using booster seats as boosters sooner than is safe, and being out of boosters way before they are ready (kids need to be in them till at least 4'9" and 80 pounds, regardless of the law...seatbelts are dangerous for children smaller than that, unfortunately).
Anyway, you should be able to find those seats readily at Walmart, Target, or Sears or Babies R Us, and he's sure to love one of them...even if it's not as nice as your beloved Roundabout ;)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lynzie
09-15-2004, 03:48 PM
We have the Ultra Cargo in my husbands car and it is fine - just a bit skimpy in the padding and he doesn't like it for long drives. Given that my munchkin is so small for his age I'm guessing he'll be in a 5-pt until at least 1st grade and a booster until middle school. I'll check out your other suggestions and see if he likes one of them better. Thanks for the response.

Lyn

Joolsplus2
09-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Look for one of the *brand new* Cargos...they come with "gracopedic" foam in the butt (it's the same as "tempur pedic" foam), and EPS foam in the head area...you might like it a lot better than the old version...Lots of us used to think the Ultra was much more padded than the Platinum...for your son's case, I'm sorry we were right! :(
If you go with the Chase, then look for the "Traditions" or "Chase DLX" they have tons more padding, too.
Also, go to www.gracobaby.com to see if you can order more padding or a softer cover...couldn't hurt to check, anyway :)

lynzie
09-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice on which models to choose. I read about the Britax Husky this weekend. I'm wondering how long it would really last me. I know my little guy will most likely outgrow anything heightwise before the weight. He's currently 4 yrs old, 36" tall and 29 lbs. I'm guessing he won't be 80 lbs before middle school. I saw in one of the threads that you have a Husky for your son. How do you like it? How does it compare comfort and padding wise to the Roundabout? Do the strap slots go much higher than the Roundabout? My son's shoulders are just a hair below the top slot of his Roundabout and the top of his head is just a smidge below the top of the carseat, so I'll need at least a few more inches of height in the Husky to get him through the next few years at which time I could put him in a belt positioning booster - maybe they'll have something even better out at that point...

I'm not opposed to spending the money on it if it will last me more than a couple of years.

Thanks for any info.

Lyn

Joolsplus2
09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, your ds would have simply loads of growing room in a Husky...Here's an old picture of a girl at 8.5 in it http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/terib/superelite.html She actually fit till she was 11 and 80 pounds (and chose to use it on longer trips because it is so comfortable!)(Oh, this is the old Super Elite, it's the same as the Husky, but pre-LATCH).
My 7 yo is 49 inches tall and just below the third slots (Though "Drew" is not my son, that's exactly how my son fits in that seat...Drew has an exceptionally long torso and is a very tall kid).
Going back even further in time, we find Andrew in the Traveller plus (same as Super Elite, same as Husky, lol) He was 40 pounds at age 3+ and needed a higher weight seat, and this was pretty much IT back then http://pages.ivillage.com/momika/carseatphotos/id2.html "Tommy" in this page, is considerably taller than MY 7yo,but still fits in the Husky, too (I think he must have been a giant, compared to Morgan, lol, but it really gives you an idea of what different sized and aged children look like in this seat)

Oh, in case you're wondering, yes, these kids (and my 5 and 7 yo) can buckled and unbuckle themselves from this seat with little or no supervision, so it's not any more difficult to deal with than a booster. If your son would need help buckling a booster OR a 5-pt, most moms agree we find it easier to buckle a 5-pt seat than it is to lean over a child and buckle that booster.

2 things about this seat...it MUST be tethered over 50 pounds, and it' can't be taken on an airplane...just in case that's a consideration for your car or travel plans (If you don't have top tether anchors, I probably know the part number to ask the dealer for, too)

:)

lynzie
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Your response was SO helpful - the pictures were awesome. I think this is definately what I will go with as long as it fits in my car. You may know if it will - I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with captains seats in the second row. As long as it fits in the captain seat I'll be in good shape. Based on the photos I think my little guy will be in this for years to come. Thanks tons!

Lyn

Joolsplus2
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah, it'll fit in there...it will become "one" with the captain's chair :)