PDA

View Full Version : Joolsplus2 - Can you help?

raynjen
10-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Julie,

Is there some kind of international registry to help me find a car seat tech? I've been looking around on island and asking at our hospital, but no one seems to know what I am even talking about!

We have some unique conditions here on Okinawa and I see soooo many people with seats improperly intstalled because of those condtions that I'm getting ready to tear my hair out. If I could find someone local who does inspections I could at least hand out that information to everyone I know.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

Joolsplus2
10-06-2004, 01:48 PM
I'll see what I can find out...are you on a military base?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

raynjen
10-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Yes, we are on Kadena Air Force Base, but we have several other bases I could drive to: Lester Naval Hospital, Camp Foster, Camp Kinsner, Camp Courtney, and Futenma Air Station. Most of the Camps are Marine Corps facilities and are sometimes refered to collectively as Camp MC Butler.

Thank so much!

Jen in Okinawa

Joolsplus2
10-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Ok, I asked around a teeny bit, and got you some leads...(these are sentence fragments copied and pasted from AIM's and emails, it's just easiest for me that way):

the PMO (provost marshals office) would be a good place to ask.

Unfortunately, military techs aren't listed on the NHTSA registery

When we were in Okinawa, I don't recall there being car seat techs but my baby was born 3 months before we left and I was not CPS savvy

Her best bet is to call the hospital, especially OB, and see if there is a car seat class that is taught and if there is maybe whoever teaches it is certified and can check her seats

Her other resources may be the New Parent Support Program, Family Advocacy, and/or Family Support

I delivered at Camp Lester, but the clinic on Kadena may have something

Camp Foster is the largest of the marine bases there I think, so she can try their Family Support too, though Oki was a little "different" than most places because there were so many bases/camps so close together. I don't know if each base has it's own FS or not

I'm not even sure the marine corps calls it Family Support, the lingo can be different between the different services. I am not sure I have any contacts over there anymore

Wish I was still over there and could help her out! (wasn't that the sweetest thing to say?)

Anyway, I do have some very slight contact with another mom in Japan...I don't know what her circumstance is there, but if I can track her down I'll post back (haven't "seen" her in months, so don't hold your breath)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

raynjen
10-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Julie,

Thanks so much! Please thank all your contacts as well, that was very kind. I was just at the hospital yesterday (for a volunteer training session) and asked around again with the same response. Although someone there did mention the Provost Marshal's office as well so that might be a good lead.

It just baffles me that someplace that has over 25,000 US citizens most of them in child-bearing/rearing age doesn't have this resource plastered all over labor and delivery.

Jen in Okinawa