PDA

View Full Version : Britax Wizard and long torso son...

jgmcinnis
10-21-2004, 09:13 PM
We recently purchased a Britax Wizard for our son. We really wanted to try one out to see if the "wings" were a problem, but our local BRU didn't have one... Anyway, he seems to not mind them too much and calls them earmuffs. My concern is this:

Son will be 3 in two weeks
~40" tall
~35-6 lbs

He's outgrown his Roundabout as the shoulder harness straps are below the top of his shoulders. He apparently has (like me, his 6'4" dad) a very long torso, such that with the Wizard fully ajusted upward the harness straps are just barely above shoulder level (half inch at most). We really aren't freaks of nature or anything like that, I have a 34" inseam, so I guess our legs are "normal" but our torsos "tall". I am concerned that he will quickly outgrow this seat (we also need to purchase a second seat for the other car). We sure would like the safety of a harness, what is our best move at this point? How much "safety" are we sacrificing to move to a Graco Platinum CarGo or something similar and will he likely fit in the harness anyway? Are the strap heights higher on the Marathon or Husky? Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

Joolsplus2
10-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm...The Wizard is taller than the Cargo and the Marathon. So did you really crank that head rest all the way up? It should be about halfway over the top of the seatback when it's all the way up. If you have, and it's any consolation, kid's legs really start growing much faster than their torsos at this age and older, and it can take well over a year for that last half inch in the torso.

I don't have my links, but if you wait a couple days, I have pictures of 6 and 7 year olds still fitting in the Wizard.

The Husky is much taller than the Wizard...it would definitely last even a tall kid to age 8, but for a three year old, it's not so great for sleep support :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx