PDA

View Full Version : Marathon top two harness slots--how much growing room?

carykim
10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I have read every post on this forum going farther back than is probably relevant, but I can't find the post that puts me over the edge with this marathon vs. husky decision.

I realize that ultimately it's a guess about the growth pattern of any given child. But I'm still hoping someone out there has an expert opinion on the matter.

My dd turns three in January. Long in the torso at 38 pounds, 39 inches tall. She's in a Roundabout and loves it, but shoulders are right there at the top harness slot and tips of ears are right there at the top of the shell. I had decided on the Marathon, thinking she'd be able to sit in it until hopefully age 6 and then pass it down to her sister to be born Jan 05. I put her in a friend's MA and found she's only has the space between the top two slots to grow, i.e. she's at the second to the highest slot now.

I've read joolsplus in many posts mentioning torso growth slowing down and legs starting to catch up, which makes sense as suddenly her pants are turning into high waters. My main hesitation with the Husky is the reduced visibility from the lowered height of the seat itself. We just got a new minivan and I know she will freak if she can't see out the windows. I'd also like the option to travel with it as we fly cross country 3 times a year. That said, I want her to be in this seat for at least two years, in a perfect world three to get the full value.

I found a deal for them on babyage.com. 10% off every purchase through Halloween, bringing the total with shipping to under $200 for both the MA and Husky. Hence my desire to figure out which seat and just order it already!

Any help would be so appreciated,
Cary

Joolsplus2
10-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Gosh, I hope you don't mind if I pipe up again :)
My dd is lighter than yours, but if you check out the link in my sig, you can see she was just below the third slots when she was three, and just above the third slots at 4, and now she's 5 and still has 1-2 inches (depending on how she's sitting) till her shoulders are at the top slots. I put the straps in the top slots just about right after she turned FF at age 4.5, so she's been in the top slots for over six months now, but it looks to me like she still has 12-18 months to go in that seat and will easily clear age 6 in it...as my ds did, before her shoulders sneak over the top slots. She's wearing size six tops now and size 4 bottoms are highwaters, size 5 bottoms are a wee bit long right now on her, FWIW.
I know it's a spendy decision to make, but I'd say go with the Marathon, because it is higher and offers better leg support (kids just put their feet on the vehicle seat) than the Husky (legs dangle or get crossed, and it's really not strong on window views or sleep support).
Hope that helps a little, and that maybe someone else will chime in (it's a slow board, isn't it? lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

carykim
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Thank you so much Julie!!

If no one else responds, it's ok as I was really fishing around for YOUR expert opinion, and you told me exactly what I needed to hear (with visual aids to boot!) to just buy the MA already.

I looked at so many car seat boards (and saw your posts on them), but this one seemed the most direct way to find you.

Thanks for being such an amazing resource and for helping me stop losing sleep over this decision. Not sure why it has to be so difficult...

Joolsplus2
11-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh, you're too sweet! Thank you :D
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx