PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a 3 year old

colleenfs
11-03-2004, 04:57 PM
We are planning a Disney World trip in January to celebrate our daughter's 3rd birthday. One of my many concerns involves travel.

1) Do I have to purchase a seat for her on the plane? Can she sit on my lap, or is she too old?

2) Do any airlines offer discounts for 3 year olds? Should I say she is only 2? LOL

3) Does she need to be in her carseat, or is she OK with just the lap belt?

4) We are thinking of cabbing instead of renting a car. Does she need to be in her carseat in a taxi? (I assume yes.)

5) Has anyone tried this Cosco Travel Vest? http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16329.jpg
I'm skeptical, but it looks like it could be a decent alternative to lugging the carseat. Looks like it is not safe for use on the airplane though.

Thanks very much for any insight you can provide. I'll be back with more questions once we start to book everything!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/e3y/1.png

Momof3Labs
11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
>1) Do I have to purchase a seat for her on the plane? Can she
>sit on my lap, or is she too old?

You must purchase a seat for her - lap babies must be under 2 years old.

>2) Do any airlines offer discounts for 3 year olds? Should I
>say she is only 2? LOL

I don't believe that you'll find any discounts based on her age. The only discounts are for babies under 2 years old, and if the airlines are in doubt, they'll ask to see a birth certificate.

>3) Does she need to be in her carseat, or is she OK with just
>the lap belt?

I'll leave this to someone else, but I think that it was asked (and answered) on the Baby car seat board in the last week.

>4) We are thinking of cabbing instead of renting a car. Does
>she need to be in her carseat in a taxi? (I assume yes.)

My understanding is that Florida has pretty lax car seat laws. But I personally wouldn't chance it. You can arrange for a limo/town car with a car seat/booster to get to and from the airport, if you want, for just a little more than a taxi.

>5) Has anyone tried this Cosco Travel Vest?
>http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16329.jpg
>I'm skeptical, but it looks like it could be a decent
>alternative to lugging the carseat. Looks like it is not safe
>for use on the airplane though.

I'll leave this one to someone else, also.

Joolsplus2
11-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Do a search for messageboards that discuss every last detail of disney trips (these people are IN to it...they could save you oodles of money, too, I bet)...I think ivillage or parentsplace has one...But from what I remember, you pretty much ride on shuttle buses or train-type things everywhere, and there's no need to cab it or rent a car or anything, and no seatbelts on the shuttles. If you can find a tote n go for $20 anywhere, it couldn't hurt to have it on hand "just in case" though it's truly pretty sucky to use :P
I personally bring my kids in just the lapbelt on the plane...it fits lower than a car lapbelt, and crash dynamics and risk of crashes are so much lower on planes, that for me, it's not worth the inconvenience (though I tip my hat and bow to mothers who DO take their seats on every possible plane trip...they have my utmost respect)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

colleenfs
11-03-2004, 07:00 PM
So the airlines do not require her to be in a carseat? Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your tips. I appreciate your wisdom!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/e3y/1.png

Joolsplus2
11-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Nope, the airlines don't require anything (hard to believe, huh? It seems like such a no-brainer they'd require seats for kids up to 40 pounds, but there's just no such law yet...)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sarsah
11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
You must purchase a seat for your 3 year old. Children 2 and under can ride on a parents lap for free, but in my experience, once the child is mobile, it's next to impossible to hold them on your lap.

You can sometimes, very rarely get a discounted fare for a child. It is mostly on charter flights. I haven't been able to find one in a long time.

Don't lie about your child's age. You may be asked to provided documentation (birth cert. or passport) of her age if you say she is under 3, especially if she is tall or big for her age.

I would say she is ok with just a lap belt on the airplane. That's what I do for my kids. I just can not justify lugging the car seats on the plane and the car seat allows the child to sit closer to the seat in front of them, making it very easy for them to constantly kick the seat -- very annoying to the person in that seat and difficult for you to stop.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think you are required to use a car seat in a cab, bus or shuttle vehicle -- some don't even have seat belts -- crazy, huh? I would recommend hiring a limo service which will provide a car seat for your use to/from the airport and then using Disney Transportation (you will not need or be able to use a carseat on Disney buses).

I have no info. on the Cosco Travel Vest

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

Momof3Labs
11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I believe that the reduced fare is for children under 2 years of age. Once they turn 2, you must buy a seat for them (at the adult fare). Here is a link that sort of talks about it:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

Or am I wrong??

aes74
12-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey--

I live in the Orlando area and used to work at Disney a few years ago so I will just add to a couple of the questions regarding the big D. First of all are you staying on Disney property or off? If you are staying ON disney property, you probably do not need to rent a car. Disney tranportation will take you anywhere on Disney property for free. You can probably get a shuttle or cab to go off-property to any other attractions or restaurants, but trust me, there is plenty to do just at Disney alone to keep you busy for a couple weeks! If you are staying OFF Disney property and planning on going a lot of places, I would consider renting a car, and here's why: First, cabs are dirty and yucky, and with all of the international tourists, the driving around there can be pretty darn scary. You get someone who doesn't really know how to drive in our country jet across four lanes of traffic to catch an exit they almost miss. I would not want one of my babies in a cab without a carseat. I just would not take the chance. Also, I would think the cost would really add up with each of these trips. And unlike NYC or something, cabs are not really waiting around for you unless you are at the airport or something. It's nice to have stability when you are traveling for your kids, and so if you have your rental car there with the carseats always in and your bottles of water or whatever it will probably give you less hassle. And lets face it, less hassle rocks when you are on vacation. As for any other tips, try these sites:
www.mousesavers.com
www.mouseplanet.com
www.laughingplace.com
If you have any other questions, etc., feel free to email me! My family have annual passes and go all the time!
Good luck!
Amy
[email protected]

Emma Elizabeth 7/26/2000
Laura Grace 12/7/2003

lcl
12-10-2004, 11:51 AM
we just returned from disneyworld with my DS who is just over 2. we bought him an airplane ticket. also, we always lug our britax marathon around with a small carryon luggage cart.

if you are staying on disney property, the disney shuttle can get you everywhere on disney property.we just held my ds on our laps.

some additional info: we stayed at allstar music with a connecting room with my MIL and that worked out well.

DS loved animal kingdom. we spent some days just visiting resorts which is free and quite fun (ie looking for animals such as giraffes, zebras at animal kingdom lodge, riding the boat from wilderness lodge to ft wilderness to see the petting far)