PDA

View Full Version : 3 kids--baby too big for SnugRide, toddler near end for RA?, + older kid

nvorsanger
11-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Could I get some advice on how to plan for three kids’ seating needs?

I drive a 1999 Volvo V70. This complicates matters because it is going to be tough to squeeze a kid’s seat in the middle position, because of the location of the seatbelt “receivers.” (I have no idea what the correct word is—what I mean is the part that you fasten the lap & shoulder belts into.) They come up from the bottom, & are only about a foot apart, so they interfere with the base of most carseats.

Anyway, my son is 4 months old & is just too tall for his SnugRide; I can barely fasten the straps now. My daughter is 2 ½, 29 or so pounds, & about 36” tall. She is in a Roundabout. When I look at where her shoulders hit the seat, it seem she will soon be too tall for it, although I know officially she has till she reaches 40 inches. My nearly 8-year-old stepdaughter still needs a booster, & we need to get a new one too—though what will fit in that middle position of the Volvo, I can’t guess.

First the younger kids: I want to move my son out of the SnugRide & into the RA. But what should I get my daughter to replace it? My ideal would be a combo seat, so that she could stay in it till she didn’t need any kind of special seat at all. But I don’t want to consider any but the Cosco Summit, because of Consumer Reports’ warning on potentially unsafe straps in booster mode for all other combo models. But I see that the Cosco’s top harness is low, plus I’ve read lots of complaints about it.

Given how tall my son is, I’m thinking he might outgrow the RA fast, so maybe I shouldn’t buy another one. Maybe a Marathon instead, first for my daughter, then my son? (Hopefully, by the time my son would need the Marathon, my stepdaughter would no longer need the booster, so my daughter could then take it over.) Or should I consider the Graco Platinum Cargo but only for use with the harness—again hoping that when my daughter outgrows it, she will be ready for my stepdaughter’s booster? Seems to me I could get longer use out of the Marathon, but I worry that older kids might not want the harness—has anyone faced a resistant child on that issue?

Then there is the issue of size—how cramped will my poor stepdaughter be if she’s wedged in between a Marathon & an RA? And does anyone have a recommendation for a good booster for her—one that will not only fit in between her siblings’ seats, but also have a narrow base that might actually fit between those seatbelt receivers?

Oh—this is so long! I’m sorry! I hope it makes sense. I'm trying to minimize the number of seats I buy, if at all possible. Any advice—on any aspect of this—would be great. THANKS.

uccomama
11-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I might be able to help, I have a "97 850 GLT, which is probably not that different from your Volvo.

I have tried several three in a row combinations, but they usually involve all boosters or one convertible and a booster. It is tough finding a booster that fits between two outboard seats, I have had success with only two, the Britax Starriser/Comfy or the now discontinued Fisher Price Safe Embrace, of the two the Starriser/Comfy it probably the better fit because it is narrow and the armrests do fit under the shell of a Marathon and I am sure they would with the Roundabout too. I have a webpage on three in a row combinations in my car which will give you some idea of what works: http://pages.ivillage.com/uccomama/id6.html

Another option would be the RideSafer Travel Vest, this works very well inbetween two car seats. I have pictures here: http://pages.ivillage.com/uccomama/id11.html and you can more info on the seat here: http://elitecarseats.com/ridesafer.shtml

I would definitely consider a Marathon or Wizard, I have both for my almost 45" 38 lb 4 3/4 year old and both install beautifully in my Volvo. It also works in the center postion because the base is so small and you can definitely get two boosters either side, should you need to. The only thing is when a seat is installed in the center position, you will need to put the widest seat behind the driver's side as there is less room behind the passenger side.

I hope this helps.

Deborah

nvorsanger
11-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Deborah:
Thanks! That was VERY helpful. We have decided on the Marathon, although the style we want is turning out to be hard to find. As for the booster, my stepdaughter went with us to shop, & she really, really loved the Graco Turbobooster. I *think* it will fit between the Roundabout & Marathon, without the back, but it will be close. I am crossing my fingers. But she loves it with the back, & she can use it in our other car, when she's with my husband, so we bought it. I figure I should be happy that a kid her age is enthusiastic about a booster.
Nancy

shishamo
11-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi Nancy,

I have a '99 Volvo s70, and I have 3 carseats there right now, a FF roundabout (for my 2.5 year old), a FF marathon (my almost 5 year old) and an infant bucket seat (newborn), and I plan to do what you are planning to do as soon as my newborn hits the weght limit (which will be in 3 months or so). One thing I can tell you is that at least with our car, the only place I can install rundabout RF is in the middle (the other position won't work due to the angle of the seatbelt recepter), which means your marathon will be on the passenger-side FF (yes they do fit side by side as long as one of them is rf, and the other ff)), and your turbobooster will be on the other side of the roundabout. i'm not sure turbobooster will fit(I actuallyown one, it's in my dh's car), it's pretty big but it may work. the biggest bummer would be that it will be really tricky to buckle the booster, since the recepter for the booster will be behind the roundabout and you have to dig under it.

philosophicalmama
11-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi, I have a 1996 Volvo 850 wagon. We have a built-in booster in the center-rear seat. You fold it out when you need it and fold it back in when you are done. I know they are available as an after-market addition, but I do not know how much this would be. It saves a ton of space and is comfortable for my 4 year-old son. Hope this is helpful.