PDA

View Full Version : Julie - Minimum to move to booster

raynjen
12-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Julie, a friend of mine is writing an article on booster seats for our local Marine Corps Magazine (Okinawa Living). She sent it to me for my comments and I don't think she "got" the essential part. Here is what she says, in her own words,

"There are three ways for determining when your child is ready for a booster seat: when her shoulders are above the harness slots, her ears have reached the top of the car safety seat and/or your child reaches the top weight or height for their car seat."

What, if anything, do you think is important to add to this?

Remember how I told you that we don't have many sources for car seat checks here on Okinawa? This might be the only resource some parents have - no pressure or anything =).

I appreciate any help you can give us.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

Joolsplus2
12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Well, that's a good start. What kind of shopping resources do you have available? Do you have any kind of selection of seats with taller top slots? Graco Cargo, Evenflo Chase, Britax Marathon (17-18 inch top slots that allow harnessing longer for skinny kids)?
A general minimum to mention would be about age 4 and 40 pounds, but if the only choices you have are regular convertibles (with 14.5-16" top slots), that could be a problem to mention...

Let me go consult with my "team of experts" (ie, yahoo group of carseat obsessed mamas, lol) and get back to you if they have any other ideas.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

raynjen
12-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Julie,

According to the BX (base exchange) we have the Graco Cargo and the Evenflo Chase. No Britax. No cars with latches so that doesn't matter (in fact none of the cars have the ratcheting back seat belts either).

Thanks

Jen in Okinawa

Joolsplus2
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Ugh, so everyone has to use locking clips? (except you, with your wonderful Britax, lol).

Well, since you DO have access to higher top slotted seats, I *would* mention 4 and 40 as a good switching over point to a booster. So maybe one little bullet about, "If your child outgrows the convertible seat by height, look for a combination/harnessed booster seat to keep them harnessed longer, at least age 4 and 40 pounds. Seats with higher top slots include.(insert models here)... and can be turned into a booster later".

If she's got a "general info" type section have her mention 5-point harnesses and front harness adjusters.

I don't know how she can do that succinctly, but I'm sure it can be done :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

raynjen
12-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Thank you so much, it's great to know who to turn to when you have a specific problem!

By the way, our new Britax harness arrived yesterday (with the non-puzzle lock) and I love it!

Jen in Okinawa