PDA

View Full Version : Marathon not fitting into DHs new Dodge truck

garyandjenn
12-21-2004, 11:03 PM
My husband just bought a new Dodge Dakota (2005) Laramie with 4 doors. When we went to pick up the truck, I tried to install our Marathon forward facing for my DS. The headrest on the truck does not come off, and the top of the Marathon hits the headrest. When the back of the Marathon is tightened with the LATCH, the base is completely angled facing down. Needless to say, my DS had to ride home in the minivan.

DS is 3 1/2 years old, 34 lbs, and 41 inches tall.

We are not sure if the Husky would fit better (maybe the back is more straight??) or if a booster would be an option. Dealer has offered to permanently remove the headrests, but then it is not safe for adults to ride with just glass behind their heads.

Any help is appreciated.

Jenn (mom to Evan 3 1/2 and Windsor 11 weeks)

Joolsplus2
12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh argh! I have the same problem with MA's in Volvos...those darn headrests don't come off and the seat tips forward (for one, I just sat on it and pushed it down so hard into the seat that the Marathon was merely upright and not leaning forward...ugh...but another couple gave up and bought a Roundabout instead).
So, hmmmm...It didn't fit differently in a different position at all? You can't just install it in the center with the seatbelt? (still got the headrest problem there, too?)
The Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Chase might be low enough to work well...I'm really not sure about the Husky, I'm afraid I just don't know how it would work. A booster could have interference with the headrest, too, you're just going to have to try one or two out, if at all possible.
Do you have a Babies R Us near you to try out a Cargo, Chase, or Turbo and see?

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

garyandjenn
12-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Julie,
Thank you so much!!! We just got home from Babies R Us with the Graco Platinum Cargo. It fit into the truck with no problem. The seat was also very easy to install. DS thinks that the cup holder/snack tray is "cool". DH is just glad that he didn't have to return the truck.
Thanks!

Joolsplus2
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Oh phew! That IS good something fits! It's also a tallish seat for a combo booster, so if no other highback boosters work once he's 40 pounds, you can keep using it for a long time.

:D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx