PDA

View Full Version : Older Daughter Dilemma - Another Marathon or not?

akc
12-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi -

We've got to get car seats for our daytime baby sitter, and I've got a dilemma. My older daughter is 2 1/2 and is tall (at 100% in height for her age) and thin (27 lbs, only 50% weight) - she's currently in a Graco Cargo that a friend gave to us b/c we had to put her sister in her original Marathon. My youngest DD is a "solid citizen" - at 11 mos, she's over 100% in height, weight (and head size - at least she's proportional!) In fact, she weighs about the same as her sister! I was pleased with the original Marathon - I'm not so much a fan when it's backward facing b/c it's so difficult to get at the adjuster strap in our Subaru Outback, but Charlotte only has one more month backwards, so that's fine.

I figure we'll give the sitter the Graco, but now the question is - do I spend on another Marathon? Or, would be fine in a different, less expensive seat? I saw some of the suggestions were some by Graco or Evenflo? What would you do - and what would your suggestion be for a seat? Money is tight, but I don't want to have to buy another one soon, so we'd like to be smart. Maybe there is a post-holiday sale somewhere for either?

Thanks for your advice!

Alexa

akc
01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Eek! We've got to make a decision on this...anyone have a vote/suggestion?

Charlotte had a check up yesterday and is 100%+ in h & w. She's 31 inches and 24 1/2 lbs, so she's certainly going to be proportionally big.

I guess I'm leaning towards another Marathon, but does anyone have a strong love of the Graco enough that I would just put Maeve (who's a string bean) in the Graco and Charlotte in the Marathon we currently have?

When it's a difference of $100+, I always value the Baby, well - Toddler, Bargains Boards opinions!

Thx!
Alexa

egoldber
01-07-2005, 09:48 AM
So your younger DD is RF in the Marathon and the older DD is FF in the Graco? Is the Graco a FF only seat? If so, I would probably personally buy a new seat that will allow your younger DD to continue to RF past one year and put your older DD in the Marathon FF.

Another consideration is how old the Graco seat is. Most carseats only have lifespan of 6 years, so depending on how long your friend used it, the Graco seat may not last your DD all the years she will need it.

Also, at some point, if your younger DD continue to outpace your older DD's growth, she may need the Marathon back as a FF seat. So it may be cheaper in the long run to go ahead and buy a second Marathon that they can both use for along time.

Sorry, that may not have been very helpful, LOL!