PDA

View Full Version : Too Big for RA

genevieve
01-01-2005, 02:16 PM
My DS is about to outgrow his RA. My DH and I are debating what to do. He will be 3 in a month. He's 38 inches tall and about 34 lbs. He's very good about sitting in his seat. Our debat is whether to get a Britax Parkway or the Compass B500 both of which are rated by the manufacturer to start at 30lbs or a larger carseat.

Understandably my DH is tired of purchasing carseat after carseat. We started with 2 infant seats. Then we went to an Century Accel and the RA. I hated the Accel (twisty straps and very little cushioning) and he outgrew it quickly. We replaced the Accel with the Marathon and have been happy with it. I am leaning towards the Husky or another Marathon but my DH doesn't really want to spend the money and then have to purchase boosters on top of that.

Any suggestions?

Michelle
Mommy to Alexander 2/7/02

Joolsplus2
01-02-2005, 10:31 PM
So you DO have one Marathon? And the RA is getting to small? I'd replace it with a Graco Platinum Cargo...Tall top slots, will keep him harnessed longer, and becomes a decent booster once he's a full 40 pounds (and truly mature enough to ride in one...it could take a year or more for him to gain that last 6 pounds). There's great resale value on a nice Roundabout with all it's parts and never been in a crash ;)

I wouldn't reduces his safety from a 5-pt harness to a booster seat until you absolutely have to....no "almost three year old" is mature enough for a booster...heck, most "almost 5 year olds" aren't even ready for one (Trust me, I've tried...learn from my mistakess, lol).

If there is absolutely nothing you can do to convince your husband that another harnessed seat is hands down the safest choice, then go with the Parkway or Turbo...not the Compass...the Compass is just too big for a kid that tiny.

Remember, too, that the cover on the RA gets pulled down and makes the harness slots LOOK lower than they are, and that you can use the seat till his shoulders are a little above the top slots (my 44 inch tall dd is just barely above the top slots, so you should have a little more time to decide, I should think)

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

genevieve
01-03-2005, 06:31 AM
We do have a Marathon in my car. My DH has the RA in his car. I will double check and make sure the cover has not slid down on the RA. My ds is probably outgrowing his RA faster at a shorter height because he has shorter legs for his height; he is very long through the torso.

I'm also afraid that he will get confused if he's in a 5-point harness in one car and a booster in the other. I would prefer to wait and switch him to a booster in both cars at once, when he has reached the 40 pound mark. Thanks for the suggestion of the Graco Platinum Cargo. I will look at it.

Thanks,

Michelle