PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Subaru Outback and two car seats?

Hallie_D
01-07-2005, 04:17 PM
We are trying to figure out the best way to position car seats in the back of our Outback wagon. Right now DS is still rear-facing in his RA, which will only fit behind the passenger seat (DH's legs are too long to drive with any rearfacing carseat behind the driver's seat). We'd like to put the infant seat in the middle, but it won't fit properly right next to the RA--but we haven't tried it with the RA turned around. If anyone here has two seats in an Outback wagon, I'd love to know how you did it--and if it is possible to do it without turning DS around and/or giving up the only other space for a passenger.

I hope this makes sense!

TIA,

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
If daddy's legs aren't going to get any shorter, you might be best off putting your DS FF in the middle (tethered...do you have top tethers installed yet? they are the next best way to prevent head and spinal injury after rearfacing), and then put the infant seat next to it on the passenger side...hopefully it'll fit...?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Hallie_D
01-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Julie. I think we do have top tethers installed and will try that.

akc
01-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Hallie -

If I only knew then what I knew now about a Subaru wagon...

We have tried every possible way and found there is no way to get two seats in without giving up the add'l passenger. My husband has crawled and cursed and pulled and squeezed and tried the tether and everything he could, but we could NOT get two seats next to each other b/c of the space, the seat belts, and the overall design of the Subaru.

It was a little better when DD#2, Charlotte, was in the infant seat b/c at least people could try to climb over the base into the middle and squeeze in, but now she's in a Marathon and it's game over.

We're both tall, but the driver's side being back is non-negotiable, so we've got DD#1, Maeve, in a Graco Cargo front-facing behind the driver (which means she slams her feet into our back b/c it's so close) and then Charlotte is in the Marathon rear-facing behind the passenger. It's next to impossible to get her in in her winter coat b/c of the stupid angle of the back windows (ours is a '99 and the windows slant) and we have lost any ability to fit anyone else in the backseat unless they have hips of about 10".

We're just patiently saving our pennies until we can get a mini-van. SO frustrating.

I don't know what seats you've got and maybe you'll have more luck, but we've generally decided that the Outback wagon is better as an "older kids" or "sporty adults" car than it is for a true "family with young kids" kind of car!

Best of luck - ;-)

Alexa

redhookmom
01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
We have a Subaru Outback Legacy. It must be a bit different then yours. We were able to fit a Super Elite behind the passenger and a RA rear facing in the middle. They were installed by a professional and are VERY tight. I don't think it will work when we turn the RA.