PDA

View Full Version : Help in Selecting a Booster Seat

Mommylena
01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Hello:
I have a daughter who is just about 4 now. She is 41 lbs and 40". Her shoulders are now above the highest slots in her Roundabout. So it's time to move onto a booster. (She's ready, I'm not sure I am! :) Anyway. I have looked around and read up. From what I gather, the Husky and the Marathon would be the safest...correct? However, I don't know if they'd work for us. The Husky would not fit in our 2nd car and she is not going to stand for a 5 pt harness much longer. (Although I'd like to keep her in one until at least 25...) I liked the Jupiter Model (Komfy something... can't remember now). Does anyone have any feedback on that? I am also considering the Strister (sp?). My husband likes the Graco Turbo Booster, the new one w/ EPS foam. I also see that Combi now has seats out - if any of you could provide ANY info on this, I'd really appreciate it. And if I should just keep her in a 5 pt for safety purposes, let me know, and I'll brainwash her into thinking that is the kind of seat DORA has! :) Thanks....

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
My 5 and 7 yo's love their Husky and Marathon (in Ashley Floral Print)...you could call it Dora's rocketship seat :)

Yes, the Husky WILL fit in your second car...I know it looks massive, but I put it in my 325 BMW, Ford Aspire, Toyota Prius...trust me, it'll fit ;)...and the littler the car, the more protection I want for my kids...you know what I mean? In the minivan, heck, a backless booster will do, but in the Aspire, I want a wall of solid plastic and styrofoam surrounding them as long as humanly possible.

Anyway, the Komfort Kruiser may actually be discontinued...It's disapearing from most places. It broke easily and was short as a booster, so not so hot.
The new Britax Parkway tops my list, or the Bodyguard, but the lockoffs can be kind of annoying. The Turbo with more foam is a close second, IMO.

The older my own kids get, the more leary I am of recommending boosters for kids under age 5+...but at 40 pounds, if you can't swing another $400 for seats and you can remind her enough to sit properly in her seat, it's not like you are endangering her by putting her in a booster...so find one you both like (oh, that princess cover...we have one at the store where I work, and the girls will not LEAVE that seat, lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Mommylena
01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Julie, thank you so much for your help. If I can just ask one thing, overall do you feel the Husky is better or the Parkway/Bodyguard?

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Noooo! Don't ask me that!!! I swear, it gives me heart attacks trying to decide what I should put my 7 year old in...he prefers his Bodyguard, but I just get that super-secure feeling in the Husky.
Let ME ask YOU..do your cars have lap and shoulderbelts in the center positions?

Mommylena
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
LOL...a Mom after my own heart! :)

I have a Kia Sedona...it has 2 bench seats in the back. The first bench has a shoulder belt that "blocks" the 3rd row when in use, so I don't think this would be useable. (That is where she sits now in her RA, but it is installed w/ Latch.) The other side is a regular shoulderbelt.

We also have a Dodge Neon. SMALL backseat...2 shoulder belts on end, lap only in center. RA is currently in center w/ Lap belt, which will again be a no-no.

Just moving her out of the center has me in a panic! :)

Mommylena
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh, one other question. What seat does the Princess carseat cover fit and where can I get it!? :)

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 03:10 PM
LOL! I'd get a Graco Turbo Booster Disney Princess (so you can google it now) for the van and a Husky for the Neon...is that crazy? Or if you have a top tether in the neon, maybe a ridesafer travel vest. It's cheaper and smaller than the husky, and you can keep her in the middle, and it doubles as a great travel "seat".

That's just in my perfect world. If your car had center shoulder belts, any old booster is fine...and if you have side curtain airbags, heck, anything works...

:D

Mommylena
01-10-2005, 03:51 PM
OK - last time I'll pester you, but now I'm even MORE confused! LOL!

Would the Husky work in the back of the van? Or based on the seat/seatbelt configuration, would it be a no go? The reason I ask is because I know once she sits w/ a safety belt, she'll never sit in a 5 pt again...so I would prob see about putting a Husky in both.

Second question, the Neon had tethers installed, on the top, as opposed to the van which has them on the floor in the back. Based on that, would a Husky be feasable in the Neon?

Boy, this is confusing! But at least I hope she will be as safe as I can make her.

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh, the Husky would definitely work fine in both cars, no problems either way...I was just trying to save you a few bucks, lol.

Chanting... <Husky, Husky, Yaaay Husky>

:D

You know,they have good resale value and you could use them for a year or two and then go to a booster...it's not like you have to buy it now and use them for the next six years if you don't *want* to...that's just another thing to consider...most folks with Huskies tend to gratduate their kids to boosters around age 5-7 in general (unless you watch those side impact crash tests on Dateline too much, then you just keep using that big ol seat till it expires or gets outgrown ;) )

Mommylena
01-10-2005, 07:34 PM
LOL...thanks! I'll be buying the Husky! :)

You were a lot of help...thanks a million. :)

Joolsplus2
01-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey, no problem, glad to help :)

Bookmark this page for when you get your new seats(s)...it's really helpful...
http://www.car-safety.org/husky.html