PDA

View Full Version : Confused re: car seat options for 38lb 2 1/2 year old

trishh2000
01-18-2005, 03:40 PM
It never occurred to me when we bought our Evenflo Truimph for our son that he might outgrow it before it was time to go to a booster seat (although he grew out of his infant carrier at 5 months).

He will be 3 in April and is weighing in at 38lbs. I don't know his height, but I suspect its still in the 90th percentile for age (it was 36 inches last April). The Truimph has a weight limit of 40lbs, so what are our options to keep him safe in our vehicles?

Most posts seem to mention Britax products only. They are very pricey - are there other safe, but more affordable options? If he's too young for a booster, what type of seat are we needing to get?

Thanks for your help.

Joolsplus2
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
If there were any other seats with a higher harness weight on the market, they'd be mentioned...currently Britax is just "it"...The Marathon and Wizard go to 65 pounds, and the Husky goes to 80.

Coming this Spring should be new seats call the Combi Acadia (to 55 pounds) and the Cosco Apex (to 65 pounds), but there's no definite date of arrival, and they are only about $50 less than the Husky ($199 w/free shipping if you shop around).

It's possible his weight will level out a bit and you can see if these new seats come out soon, and maybe are cheaper than the $150 they are promising to list for currently (and hopefully better quality than the other seats in their brands, for the price...).

I'd just keep an eye on his weight, and keep checking for sales on the Husky or Marathon, or for when these new seats are released, and hopefully you have more time than you think before he hits 40 pounds...fingers crossed!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

CJ_4cuties
01-19-2005, 12:42 PM
If your son is 38 inches tall and weighs 30 lbs he can use a Britax Parkway which is a booster seat that sells for $99.00 with free shipping. I wouldn't use any seat but Britax because of the safety rating and because they are lightweight and easy to use.

I hope this helps.

CJ