PDA

View Full Version : Now I *really* need your true opinions...please?!

akc
01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi -

I posted before on our car seat dilemma, but didn't get a response. I've got to get a new carseat for my oldest daughter, Maeve. She's 2 1/2 yrs old and is a "skinny minny" - she's tall (90% in height), but only 50% in weight (28 lbs or so). She's currently in an older Graco Cargo that I want to give to our everyday baby sitter (who currently can't pick her up from school b/c she doesn't have a car seat!) My youngest daughter, Charlotte, is in what was originally Maeve's Britax Marathon now. Charlotte is huge - over 110% in height and weight at 11 mos and will stay in the Marathon.

So, what's the REAL scoop: Do I need to spend on another Britax Marathon or Husky or is the Graco Platinum Cargo (which is what I think the alternate recommended seat is judging from other posts) going to be just fine? I know the Britax seats are always rated best, and I'm a believer and love our Marathon for Charlotte, but it seems like so much to spend and possibly more than we need.

She's been out of her Marathon for a few months now, and I like that she can climb in the seat herself (we always buckle her, of course, but the Britax seats are so HIGH off the seat that she couldn't get up in it in our Subaru) and I like the idea of a "big girl seat" with the cupholder, etc. The Husky looks really wide - and Maeve is narrow (as is our car), but I like that it's closer to the seat.

I'm just trying to decide if the $100+ for a Britax is really necessary or if the Graco will be great. I am not going to cheap out on my kids' safety but this did start as Baby *Bargains* - looking for really good quality products that weren't necessarily the most expensive - so I'm asking the hard question. If it ends up that the Britax is really hands down the recommendation, we'll do it without a second thought, but I'm asking again.

Please give me your opinion - we've got to solve this before I have to miss more work to pick up Maeve at school. Thanks!

Alexa

Joolsplus2
01-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Aw shucks, I figured you could hash it out, sounds like you have :)

Try the new Platinum Cargo...it has EPS foam in the head just like a Britax now, and if you like your current one, then go for it!

Unless you want to get a husky now, so that you have something to hand down to your big baby later, to make absolutely sure she stays harnessed till she is completely ready for a booster? It's low, like the Cargo, and your dd can climb into it just fine. It's not the best seat for sleeping, but my kids use a pillow for napping on super long trips and are comfy.

You don't NEED a Britax to keep a kiddo safe, I promise :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

akc
01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
You are too funny! I hate to make decisions in a vacuum...still need that validation, I suppose!

OK, so in terms of this EPS foam thing, are there only certain Platinum Cargo seats that have it? Certain model numbers I should look for? Or do all the Platinum's have it?

Of course, now my vanity comes into play b/c the seats the Cargo is certainly NOT as nice looking as the Britax, and the patterns...
oh well, can't have everything, right?

Thanks! :-)

Alexa

Joolsplus2
01-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm almost positive that all Plat. Cargos have the EPS foam, unless they are old stock.

Eeew, yeah, aren't they ugly boring? How many shades of brown can Graco invent? (LOL, pick up one of those, and then look for a Disney Princes My Cargo and cut holes in it for the straps and voila, princess seat...Oooh, did I just say that out loud? ;) The Princess my cargo is pretty ugly compared to the princess turbo, though, same theme, just not as well done)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx