PDA

View Full Version : Britax Marathon or Husky????

champion2b
02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I have been contemplating a new car seat and need serious help. My son is 31 months old (35 lbs, 39") currently in a Roundabout. Actually, I have 2 Rounabouts (one in a 2004 Honda Pilot and another in 2000 Honda Accord).

The new carseat would be primarily used in the Pilot. So, I would prefer something that will be easy to reinstall (which will happen occasionally - maybe once a month). Ultimately, in a couple of years (when ds is around 4 1/2-5) I plan to get a booster seat (like the Turbobooster or Parkway) for the Accord for occasional use. (Hopefully, he will be mature enough by then so I don't have worry.)

I thought I had my mind made up with purchasing the Marathon in case we plan on having another child in a year or so. Now, I'm uncertain and don't know if I should buy the Husky instead since it has higher height/weight limits. The downsides to the Husky is the size and it's not FAA approved (IF we plan on traveling - I guess it's not a necessity, but it would be nice). Help!!!

How long do you think it will be before he outgrows his current seat? I'm hoping once spring/summer comes and he doesn't have to wear a bulky coat, will buy me some time so I don't feel so rushed.

michlee
02-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Have you tried your question on the Baby Bargains board?

michlee
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi. I'm in the same situation. My DS is 32 months old (33 lbs, 42"). I decided to get the Husky because my DS is very tall and already using the top slots of his Marathon.

I'm sorry I can't estimate how much longer your son will be able to use the Marathon.

-Michelle

egoldber
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
If his shoulders are taller than the top harness slot, then he had outgrown the Roundabout. I just purchased a Marathon for my 38", 35 pound DD who juts outgrew her Roundabout. We plan to keep her in the Marathon until our second baby outgrows the Roundabout or the Roundabout expires. (Britax seats have a 6 year expiration date.)

HTH,

Joolsplus2
02-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Take his coat off...or get a thinner one. Not only does it make him look bigger, it increases the risk of head injury because it makes the straps *seem* tighter on his body than they *are* (don't worry, you can put it on him backwards after he's safely secured in his harness...of course I don't want him to get hypothermia!!!).
You do have until his shoulders are just above the top slots, and since his legs are going to start growing much faster than his torso, and he may not hit 40 pounds for awhile, you should have a little time to decide what seat works best for you (maybe one of each? Husky and Marathon? That gives you a lot of flexibility...).

DO try to see them in person before you decide, because they are quite different seats...either will work fine in your car, though, and the Husky's not such a big deal to move once you learn how to install it :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx