PDA

View Full Version : Air travel and booster for 4yo

jmac588
02-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Are there rules for using carseats on airplanes? We are traveling soon with our 2yo & 4yo. The 2yo is in a RA and we will bring that seat with us. Our 4yo is moving from a Graco Platinum CarGo to a MA shortly since he has just hit 40 pounds and I'm not ready to give up the 5pt harness yet.

We also have a Graco TurboBooster for DH's truck. We are thinking that we will take this with us for the plane and whatever short trips we take in a rental car (staying within Disney complex and just plan on driving to parking lots each day and perhaps a day at the beach).

We considered renting a booster in FL and it hit us that we would then have nothing for the airplane for DS to sit in. Is this allowed? I haven't flown much with the kids so I never took note as to what other children were sitting in. But come to think of it, maybe a booster seat isn't allowed on a plane anyway? (which might be why I see so many references to the fact that some fit in the overhead compartments!)

Can someone tell me what is and isn't allowed on an airplane? What is and isn't considered safe? Should I take the CarGo and use the 5pt harness (he is within 1/2 pound of 40 on either side) while on the plane? Does he not need to sit in anything?

So confused!

Momof3Labs
02-20-2005, 06:03 PM
In order to use a seat on the plane, it must have a sticker on the side saying that it is certified for airplane use. You cannot use a booster on the plane since there is only a lapbelt. You could rend a booster when you get there, but you are not guaranteed a booster - so are you willing to chance it? As long as he can stay seated properly in the seat with the seat belt on as necessary, you don't need to bring a seat for him, though you could also bring the CarGo and use the harness and he'd be quite safe on the airplane and safer while driving around Disney.

egoldber
02-20-2005, 07:55 PM
He doesn't need anything for the airplane. As Lori mentioned, you cannot use a booster on the airplane because because require the use of shoulder belts.

If I were you, I'd check the Turbobooster and use that at Disney.

HTH,